Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wuz down at Gearman and WB's place yesterday. Jeff broke the R&P in his front end on his first test run with the new setup (Moon Rocks) so it's down for a little 'maintenance'. :eek:

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 of 8

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 of 8

·
Registered
475 Posts
H8, couple o' questions.
Why is the front shock at that angle?
Do I see a radiator, tranny cooler, & oil cooler all stacked together?
Is the top rear coil mount in the middle of the cage tube with no bracing (vice at a node)? I wouldn't think it would last long with your driving style.

I really like the lines of the whole thing, but I'd think some more bracing would be a good idea and I hope you plan to finish the firewall/floor.

When you're done and have worked out all the bugs, I'd like you to make me a clone. ;)

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Man, I have wet dreams about rigs like that... One of these days....

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I dig the rig, but whats up with the chain limiting straps out back? I'm guessing they're there just for testing?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
newt said:
H8, couple o' questions.
Why is the front shock at that angle?
Do I see a radiator, tranny cooler, & oil cooler all stacked together?
Is the top rear coil mount in the middle of the cage tube with no bracing (vice at a node)? I wouldn't think it would last long with your driving style.

I really like the lines of the whole thing, but I'd think some more bracing would be a good idea and I hope you plan to finish the firewall/floor.

When you're done and have worked out all the bugs, I'd like you to make me a clone. ;)

The shock is on that angle because, it fits well there. :flipoff2: Actually I originaly ran them at the rear where they wer also in an angled mount set up. They are 7100 Bilstiens with remote reservoirs, and were custom valved to accomodate being on an angle, so I thought it best to keep them in the same type configuration. The entire front section will be re-engineered with a coilover set up, as soon as I finish paying for the current fab work.

The extra cooler in front of the radiator is my Power Steering cooler. I also use an extra 24 oz aluminum remote reservoir, for a total capacity of about 1 gallon of PS fluid. The system stays surprisingly cool.

The rear mounts are slated for down tubes, we were just in a rush to get the rig ready for Moonrocks.

The entire rear section of the rig is still missing tubes that wrap all the way the rear, starting at the bend in the side bars. We also need to add bars behind the seats from side to side to attatch the harnesses. The firewall/scatter shield needs to be finished also. The fire extinguisher will be mounted somewhere other than above the gas tank. I also still need to run many of vent tubes, and add a fuel shut off valve, before we are comp legal.

It is very close to being finished and Im sure we could finish it in a couple of long nights, but right now Bill is working on his and Seans rig whenever he has free time away from customers rigs.

The few runs I did test it on at Moonrocks, it worked awsome. I easily walked up a line that denied me at the CalROCS comp (Course #4 on Saturday).

Im still undecided on a color scheme

Thanks for the compliments, Im sure Bill would be glad to build a clone(especialy with me not there coaching him over his shoulder durring the entire project).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Jason R said:
Lookin good....damn good. :D

I think after the front 60s done bigger tires are in order? :D
Hell yeah, that set of 40" BFG that are currently slated for Sean and Bills rig would be perfect for my rig. They dont see it that way however.:(

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
High5 said:
sweet! i dig it! now for some action shots......
Action Shots???:eek:
This thing is too pretty to beat on, I plan to just use it to go get groceries,...like if I need a beer in an ice chest at the top of JackHammer.

Pics should be available soon, and Im not gonna be easy on this rig, like I was with my last one. If its gonna break I want it to happen while its still under warranty,..(I hope Bill doesnt read this).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Sully said:
Man, I have wet dreams about rigs like that... One of these days....

Well that would explain the need for the different seat covers.:D

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
H8monday said:

The few runs I did test it on at Moonrocks, it worked awsome. I easily walked up a line that denied me at the CalROCS comp (Course #4 on Saturday).
Was that my course?? the one only like maybe 10 rigs out of 50 got past? and of course you were using the skinny pedal like crazy on it?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts