1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
looks like a shaper from the 40's

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sure looks like one of those fancy Lamps to me. My grandmother had one like that. It even had a place to put magazines and stuff under it.
Chad

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a shaper -got it for 250$ - and i think for proto type stuff it may do the job- Jess

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
onetoncv said:
Its a shaper -got it for 250$ - and i think for proto type stuff it may do the job- Jess
I have not spent most of my life in pursuit of cool old junk for not....:D they are kinda worthless IMO but for $250 I ould have drug it home as well. you can have a bit o fun with it. for really cool protypes get a bridgport mill

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to be the jackass, but being barely into my 20's, you'll have to tell me what a shaper does. Well, "shapes" I presume, but can we get more specific? I was thinking it was an old school mill off the Mayflower. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It made for mainly shaping or metal carving basically- i'll send a pic of what it does well- but i'm thinking i can modify it easily for internal splines - it may take an hour to cut one but it take a month to get proto-typing done around here- and its old yes - but it will most likely out last me- Jess

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
it will do alot more than that but you gonna spend alot of hour learning.......I have made some projects on one. fun to mess with

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Shapers are cool. With the right setup you can use one to make any internal or external involute spline, without a bunch of expensive tooling. MC on the board uses a big one to make his steel axle pad shims.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
onetoncv said:
and a side view- this was inside the cover- someones project from along time ago- Jess

Shaper didnt make that (My god I dont think so)...looks like a valuable piece of tooling

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Shapers 'can' be a very versatile machine tool - with the right experience.

I've seen toolmakers make very complex press tools and jigs with them, but it was slow.
But for someone using one at home, this isn't so much of a problem.

The technique favoured by the toolmakers was to accurately mark the component out then machine by eye to a certain extent, although something flat / square is obviously done using the calibrated feed and slides.

With practice it's a useful machine.

Mudplugga

1 - 20 of 24 Posts