Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here modified their ARB front bumper for better approach angle? I've seen plenty of pics online of it being done. I want to do this to mine but want some insight on it first. It is on an 80 series TLC.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I saw an FZJ80 in AZ a couple of years ago where the owner had done just that; he had trimmed the bottom lip and the rock-finding d-ring tabs. I'm sure it helped, but even those modifications can't eliminate the ARB's reduction on the truck's approach angle. They were designed for overland and expedition use more than for rock crawling, so the approach angle was probably not their first concern.

If it's really affecting you, I would consider going custom with something minimalist like Justin Reese's (USFSIHC) FJ60 winch mount. That should give you a killer approach angle.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Chris:

About all you can do is torch off those worthless tow points, and grind everything smooth:

Then cut some slots and install a pair of REAL tow points:

Cory Ashe (wayoffroad.com) sells those tow hooks already to use, $13 each.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
pismojim said:
Very nice!:cool:

:idea:

But wait, don't stop now,
how about a decent Hi-Lift jack point while you're at it.
If you know Ken you will know he is way ahead of your thinking.....he did add nice jack points on the ends of the bar....very nice BTW! I know he has pics.....Ken....post em ;)

John

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You mean like these? I've had these for 3+ years, work like a charm, I don't know why ARB didn't think of adding them to the bullbar, instead of relying on that :rainbow: little adapter thingie. You know what's ironic? The little jack adapter that ARB sells relies on the integrity of the d-ring tabs, if they're buggered, then so are you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
pismojim said:
But wait, don't stop now,
how about a decent Hi-Lift jack point while you're at it.
Way ahead of ya, stole the idea from Henry, added these the same day:

I also added a new CB antenna mount to get the thing over to the passenger side and outta my face:

Now I just gotta get the BIG hole in the middle filled up... :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
60seriesguy said:
You know what's ironic? The little jack adapter that ARB sells relies on the integrity of the d-ring tabs, if they're buggered, then so are you!
Ya, no kiddin. This is what mine looked like with I got the truck:

You can't really tell, but even the second one was too bashed to get a D-ring thru. I guess the PO liked to drive by feel... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Ken, I need to do that to mine, too, I have the cheesy bolt-on antenna mount right now...

I'm going to call Ken's bullbar ARB "Plus"! :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
60seriesguy said:
You mean like these? I've had these for 3+ years, work like a charm, I don't know why ARB didn't think of adding them to the bullbar, instead of relying on that :rainbow: little adapter thingie. You know what's ironic? The little jack adapter that ARB sells relies on the integrity of the d-ring tabs, if they're buggered, then so are you!
Alright, you smarty pants, go back and read the original post.

It is on an 80 series TLC.
You guy's are showing us 60 Sereis bumpers. I've got those nifty jack points on my 60 too, thanks Mudrak.

The problem is it's not so easy on the 80 Series ARB bumper (see picture below). Adding a little hoop thingy isn't so easy. Maybe a cut out for a socket or something?

Meantime, I make sure to keep the D-Shackles in the tabs. It helps to keep them from being bent completely out of shape.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Liftedleatherpanties,

You're in the same club as Ken right? Maybe check his out.:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

Ken - nice work. Looks great.

Chris - seriously dude, as I mentioned before, you can't cut the ARB substantially or you'll jeopardize the integrity of the damn thing. It was designed in such a way to act as a roo bar, not to crawl in the rocks. If you really want a rock crawling monster bumper, either get one from Christo, get a custom job or continue to wheel with the ARB and both better spotting and driving. Seriously - while better approach angles are great - look at how long some dudes and wheeled their 80's junk with the ARB. You gotta learn how to overcome these obstacles (hah - kind of punlike :flipoff2: ).

Ken - are those tow hooks just welded straight to the bumper, or are they welded into a T then sunk into the bumper from the rear?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Pismojim, I've seen an FZJ80 that had "T"-shaped cuts made into the sides of the ARB bumper precisely for the Hi-Lift jack...unfortunately, I can't remember where/when it was...D'OH!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
That was Nick's idea - it's 1/4" plate underneath and boxed-in on the ends with extra reinforcing to resist tweeking the ends of the bumper should they encounter a rock (which is a certainty given his style of wheeling :) ) Fab work done by COMPLAINE (Ian), BTW.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks Krusty, now I remember, I have a shot of that from last year's Rubithon.:rolleyes:

Nice work Ian!
Any plans for log attachment points? :D :flipoff2: :D

It still doesn't look too secure for a Hi-Lift. I still want to see the "T" hole mod.

Every "A" hole should have a "T" hole don't ya think?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here's mine. Pretty similar to the other one up here. Right now I'm using factory tow loops but I plan on adding some d-ring brackets and hi-lift points.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
climbermike said:
Ken - are those tow hooks just welded straight to the bumper, or are they welded into a T then sunk into the bumper from the rear?
If you look at the pic where the tow points are lying on the floor in front of the bumber, you can see where I marked in white where I torched out a "slot" with the plasma. Some careful measuring, grinding, and filing, the tabs slid into these slots right along the vertical supports in the bumper. I added some really stout 1/2" Grade 8 bolts as a safety measure, then welded the heck out of everything that I could reach with the gun. I think the bumper will pull off the frame first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts