Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm copying this thread from jkowners.com. Thought it would be beneficial to have it here as well, with hopes of expanding the list. If you have experience with repeaters on different trails and know that they work, please post up.

What repeaters are easily accessible from Fordyce? Slick Rock? Deer Valley? Swamp Lake? Hell Hole? The Dusy?

The following was copied from HAM RADIO TRAIL FREQUENCIES - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum to give credit where it is due.

Rubicon Trail:
RUBI (Coverage within trail only) 444.987(5) PL 156.7 +5 offset
RUBI+ (Linked to 805's) 444.987(5) PL 107.2 +5 offset
RUBISIM (Simplex) 444.987(5)
805ELD (KA6GWY in Pollock Pines) 146.805 PL 123 -6 offset (echolink)
805TAH (KA6GWY in Tahoe Basin) 145.350 (repeater transmitter), odd split to 146.205 (repeater receiver), PL 123.0

Niagara Rim Trail
Twain Harte 146.115 PL 100 +6 offset (echolink N6EA-R)

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
holy thread revival.

when beyond repeater coverage, do not overlook the national simplex calling freq. 146.520. i has saves us in the past. good freq to add to scan or ?

the so-called wilderness protocol is dying but its still the go to when on the interstate or a new city or back country fun.

we'll see ya on the air

·
Registered
40 Posts
What repeaters are easily accessible from Fordyce? Slick Rock? Deer Valley? Swamp Lake? Hell Hole? The Dusy?
Thread necro and bump....

Has anyone come up with answers to the original question here? I plugged the zip code for into one of the repeater databases and came up with these additional repeaters that seem to be close to Bear Valley.

Has anyone else tried them? I'm heading up to Slick Rock and possibly Deer Valley this weekend and will try to access the repeaters.

If any of these make sense, perhaps they can be added to the above list?

Pinecrest (K6TUO) 147.9750MHz PL 100 -0.6 offset
Meyers (K6LNK) 442.0750MHz PL 127.3 +5.0 offset
Leviathin (KB6DWO) 146.6550 offset PL 131.8 -0.6 offset

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thread necro and bump....

Has anyone come up with answers to the original question here? I plugged the zip code for into one of the repeater databases and came up with these additional repeaters that seem to be close to Bear Valley.

Has anyone else tried them? I'm heading up to Slick Rock and possibly Deer Valley this weekend and will try to access the repeaters.

If any of these make sense, perhaps they can be added to the above list?

Pinecrest (K6TUO) 147.9750MHz PL 100 -0.6 offset
Meyers (K6LNK) 442.0750MHz PL 127.3 +5.0 offset
Leviathin (KB6DWO) 146.6550 offset PL 131.8 -0.6 offset

Did you have any luck up there with the repeaters?

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Some to add:

Mt. Rose has a very high level, multi linked machine with incredible coverage. Sac to twin falls, ID. 147.150 pl 123. +. Can be hit from many sections of rubicon, but very solid eastward from top of big sluice all the way to tahoma.

There us also a digital there too. 145.050 PACKET. ROSE

South of tahoe is another on leviathan. 147.330 pl 123 +600. We use this when on deer valley trail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you have any luck up there with the repeaters?
Not really. I got better cell phone coverage around Utica.

I tried all three repeaters and no responses.

APRS was spotty up there but I had smart beaconing enabled and I've never really played with that before. I am going to try without smart beaconing next time. I don't think i had it tuned right for rock crawling.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Another great repeater for the rubicon is W6YDD 146.625- pl 123 out of Georgetown. It also is linked to repeaters out of Grass Valley 146.626- pl151.4 and Mt. Vaca, Vacaville 146.625- pl 100 and a couple more. Great coverage to talk to almost anyone in the foothills and Sacramento valley!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are any of the repeaters near the Rubicon on EchoLink so that folks can listen in remotely on a PC or cell phone?

edit:
There's a "GeeksInJeeps" room on WIRES-X and a "GeekJeep" group on EchoLink. Any of you hams sign on to it?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
KA6GWY (805ELD)
Downlink: 146.8050
Uplink: 146.2050
Offset: -0.6 MHz
Uplink Tone: 123.0
EchoLink: 95726 KA6GWY-R

·
Registered
40 Posts
KA6GWY (805ELD)
Downlink: 146.8050
Uplink: 146.2050
Offset: -0.6 MHz
Uplink Tone: 123.0
EchoLink: 95726 KA6GWY-R
Thanks. I found it last night in the EchoLink app by the call sign. Cool stuff. I was listening in with a touch pad and it worked great. Just a couple of locals talking about a pack of cigarettes. :)

I also found the N6ICW repeater on EchoLink and will be visiting that one too. It's the Sacramento repeater on Mt. Vaca (@147.195 + MHz) and I think it is linked to the Lake Tahoe repeater (@145.150 - MHz). Though I have not tried yet, I will see if I can hit Mt. Vaca repeater from the radio in my jeep here in Danville.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Crap! I tried to sign up on Echolink, and found out my license had expired. Fortunately it wasn't that long ago, and I could renew online.
these guys can help. we use wm all the time. you may be able to save the ticket with a late renewal, depending on how long ago it expired. good luck.

https://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=87

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone want to try and setup a scheduled "rubicon jeepers" chekin net on one of these repeaters?

It would be cool if we could have a regularly scheduled net on KA6GWY or N6ICW perhaps on Saturday nights when some folks might be on the trail.

Sounds like folks can hit those repeaters directly from the trail. Not sure if they need to use RUBI+ but perhaps some other Elmer can educate this new ham.

I can communicate on both of those repeaters via EchoLink and my droid phone from the comforts of my house and have been listening in on both of them form time to time. Never seems to be anyone on there.

73's
W6PMB Clear and monitoring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone want to try and setup a scheduled "rubicon jeepers" chekin net on one of these repeaters?

It would be cool if we could have a regularly scheduled net on KA6GWY or N6ICW perhaps on Saturday nights when some folks might be on the trail.

Sounds like folks can hit those repeaters directly from the trail. Not sure if they need to use RUBI+ but perhaps some other Elmer can educate this new ham.

I can communicate on both of those repeaters via EchoLink and my droid phone from the comforts of my house and have been listening in on both of them form time to time. Never seems to be anyone on there.

73's
W6PMB Clear and monitoring.
I'll be up at Wentworth Springs Campground next Saturday night. And I'll be there with a couple of ham newbies. I'm not sure if I'll remember to tune in though. My only alarm is on my phone, and it gets turned off as soon as I leave Georgetown. Maybe I can get one of the noobs to set an alarm.:beer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts