Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
RECON ROCK SLUT
575 Posts
For Android Phone users, you can upload these KML files to your Google Maps online, which will automatically sync to "your places" on your phone's google maps. FYI

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

Here is the file

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/yp9ycx3zoxphfjz/The Hammer Trails.kmz

EDIT: I couldn't get it to import into my phone properly with that kmz file, because it is a compressed file. It worked perfectly with the uncompressed .kml file. Here is a link to that in case anybody has any issues with the .kmz.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/axsigksnsj050vc/The Hammer Trails.kml
Thanks for all the time & effort getting these accurate & making them available to everyone!

Are these 2 links the most recent up to date copies of the kml & kmz?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
No problem! Yes, the links are up to date :)
Awesome! Thanks so much!:beer:

I remember last year I had the 4wheelers for christ map printed out and my BB gps in my hand and was trying to lay the map out (without the wind blowing it away) waaay out on the trails somewhere in the middle of the night trying to enter some points to guide us home. I was meaning to preload some trails before this year, but I wouldn't have done anywhere near as good of a job as this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The trail map files are refusing to down load. Are they still available? It may be my incompetancy or the fact I am in the UK (I'm coming to KOH though). Would be handy to have the trails on my GPS.

Ta,

Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The trail map files are refusing to down load. Are they still available? It may be my incompetancy or the fact I am in the UK (I'm coming to KOH though). Would be handy to have the trails on my GPS.

Ta,

Adrian
The .kml file just downloaded fine for me. If you like, PM me with your email address and I will send you the file.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What do you do with the kml file.. can you use that offline?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
What do you do with the kml file.. can you use that offline?

.kml and .kmz are the file formats that Google Earth uses. The only difference between .kml and .kmz is that the .kmz is compressed. The size of these files is small, so compression doesn't matter.

Using the tools I mentioned above you can convert a .kml to any GPS file format. As for using a .kml directly offline, I do not know.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just downloaded the BackCountry Navigator and finally figured out how to get the file imported. My phone wouldn't automatically download the KML file (2nd one in first post) so I had to save the file to my PC and then email it to my phone as an attachment. When I opened the attachment on my phone, it automatically gave me the option to import into The BackCountry app. You can name it what you want and save it to your "trips".

I haven't even scratched the surface of what the app is capable of, but hopefully I'll get some time to play with it so I can actually make use of it once I arrive on the lake bed end of next week.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I just downloaded the BackCountry Navigator and finally figured out how to get the file imported. My phone wouldn't automatically download the KML file (2nd one in first post) so I had to save the file to my PC and then email it to my phone as an attachment. When I opened the attachment on my phone, it automatically gave me the option to import into The BackCountry app. You can name it what you want and save it to your "trips".

I haven't even scratched the surface of what the app is capable of, but hopefully I'll get some time to play with it so I can actually make use of it once I arrive on the lake bed end of next week.
Sweet this is great!

·
Registered
924 Posts
thanks soooooo much. this is a life saver. just got it all setup on my droid using backcountry pro.

this app allows you to save the map backdrops while you have service to download them. once you save the map area of hammers to your phone, you can download the trail map files by emailing it to yourself as the guy a few spots above me stated.

with the map backdrop saved, and the trail info saved to the phone you are able to use it like a lowrance gps unit down at hammers without needing phone service. just keep your phone on aiplane mode while your down there.

when you save the map background make sure you are on the usgs ariel view, not the topo graph view. that way its saved it as a satellite view so it looks like google earth.

·
W6FTW
3,820 Posts
Any apps for an iPhone to use these? I've been using motionx but I'm not too crazy about it

Edit-gps kit allows you to import directly into it and cache maps for offline use :smokin:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Any apps for an iPhone to use these? I've been using motionx but I'm not too crazy about it

Edit-gps kit allows you to import directly into it and cache maps for offline use :smokin:
I use Gaia GPS / Offline Topo on the iPad & iPhone tho I needed to convert these files to a .GPX file before it would import correctly.

Art

21 - 40 of 81 Posts