Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I received a couple boxes of goodies from Jeff (IHON), I will be posting up the tech on a reverse shackle and sway bar install on the frame. IMO this is a great improvement on a Scout that is going to see a fair amount of road time. As the build progresses I am going to go through the process of installing a Chevy steering column, Charlie will need this mod to be able to operate the dimmer on the lights. I also think the wiper controls and all that junk will be easier for him to operate. Scout Broker shoot me a note on what you want for the column and I will pay for it as we will not be using it on this build. On another note if anyone wants to help out on the build with small unmarked bills please sent the funds to Jeff at IHON, I am going to have all the donations go through him so there can be no questions, in this day and age, I just don't want anyone to question my intentions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Robert and everyone else. I can't say Thanks enough for everyone taking the time to read and donate parts. It really blows me away with how much everyone is willing to help someone they don't even know. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Welcome to Pirate Charlie:flipoff2:Better keep up on this build or I will come tip your chair over:laughing:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Spent Saturday cleaning up the frame, then mocked up the sway bars. The kit from IHON even comes with the required hole saws. I drilled the frame holes, installed the selves and welded them in. Then cleaned up the welds so that the bushings have a clean fit. That is about all that can happen on the sway bars before we get the frame back from powder coating.

Also while we had the frame on the lift, I welded a muffler bracket on the passenger side. I have not seen a Scout with one of these on each side and figured while I was working on it might as well. Small touch to make this a custom build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Started installing the reverse shackle kit that Jeff (IHON) also donated for Charlie's Scout. I had the front all tacked up and ran out of wire, had to wait until today to get a new roll. Y can see from the pictures that this is real quality stuff. I finished up the fangs today, then a quick call to Jeff for some help on location for the rear shackle mounts. The kit is well thought out but sense this was a bare frame I could not get measurements needed. For the record Jeff had a Scout in his shop what had his kit installed so 40" from the front mount to the rear shackle swing hole, center to center.

Great service from IHON, and the Scout frame is ready for powder coat, should get it over to Powder Coat Unlimited tomorrow:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Robert - still trying to arrange what day I can make it over. However which works better for you, either Thursday or Friday this week? Let me know and I will do my best to make it work.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Charlie, Friday will be better. I have lots of Scouts for you to look at, I really want to nail down a few of the finer points on the build. Also want to let you transfer into several different Scouts at different heights so we can see whats comfortable for you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Robert, I'm going to be hitting the junkyards here in Vegas.
If you need anything, shoot me a PM and when I'm there I'll take a look around for you.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey I forgot to post this up--------------Johnsons Used Auto Parts here in Billings is tossing us a power plant and tranny from a 93ish Suburban :smokin: Spensor is also giving me the computer and harness. This should be a great power plant for this project, FI and an OD tranny that will drop right in and be easy to work on for the average mechanic.

It truly inspires me the way everyone is stepping up with the economy as fucked as it is. I wish all the idiots spending millions running for office could spend one day in Charlie's chair. I am so sick of the greedy lying bastards. OK Sorry to rant, guess the politics on the TV are getting to me:eek:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well after a conversation with Todd, I learned Charlie beats up the rocker panels up loading and unloading his chair. I had a junk Blazer so I robbed the nerf bars for the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Loaded up the frame, off to the powder coaters. We are also doing the inner fenders, should make them last forever, these were a really nice set so I am happy to see them go to Charlie.

Gary Billings would be proud of our frame dolly:homer:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I bought a winch for Charlie, needs a little TLC. I have a favor to ask, I just don't have the time or resources to get this thing refurbished. I would like to pull the cable and have someone go through it. I'll cover the parts and shipping both ways, if one of you folks would be up for helping out on this shoot me a PM.

On another note if you can plan on a trip to Binder Bash, this is where Charlie will have his Scout and we can all sign the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just wanted to say this a DAMN COOL thing your doing. I wish everyone had a heart as big as yours. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
71Scout2 Thanks for the complement but I am very happy that I can help out with this build. I do feel like I have been very lucky and to give back a little is just my way of passing it on. Besides its a privilege to build this Scout for Charlie. Here are a couple pictures from today was a slammed day but had a VIP over at the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Robert, you really should take something sharp and pointy and stab him in the leg with it. You know, to make sure he's not just playing you:laughing:

Couldn't help myself, sorry. I've pitched Charlie out of that chair more times than I care to admit and I'm pretty sure them there legs don't work. You should see him swim! Good times, good times. Just got off the phone with him, He is ALL JACKED UP! Kudo's to you Robert.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure the chair is for real after loading his bony ass in my offroader:eek:

He was able to transfer in Leona's Scout no issues, its SOA on 33s. I am thinking after we chatted 4" soft rides with 33s should be no problem. He likes the way a basket looks on to of the Scout so keep you eye out. I have to look around at Johnson's and see if I can scare one up. Told me the basket looks cool even if he has to get your sorry ass to load it.

41 - 60 of 408 Posts