Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 408 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I used that same Miller this summer for about 3 weeks. I was skeptical at first, but everyone in the shop liked it after giving it a try.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
next time you dont need to remove as much material into the tube, grind more into the c then heat it with a torch and spray it with some wd-40, you will see a hairline crack and then start beating it to turn it. Multiple smaller passes on a fill weld that large would have been better.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I deleted my post, I am sitting here sick as a dog and very irritable. What you are doing for this guy is cool, and if you weren't so far away I would come over and help. I apologize for my useless ranting.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
OK first up, Ricky also thought my welds looked like shit, so he spent an hour on my dime cleaning them up and then a couple hours preping for paint. I took too much off the tubes and worked way too hard to turn the knuckles is the gist of what I learned on this post. Well I am willing to learn:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Here is the frt axle all cleaned and painted ready to install. Lots of time on this, hours spent with a wire wheel cleaning both axles. Pictures are a little deceiving, the axles are satin black, flash makes them look shinny.

And check out the Hotrod in the back ground, can't wait to get that on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
OK here's the frame with the axles mounted. I have the shocks installed, this is with 2.5 inch lift (rough country). Check out the rear sway bars and the reverse shackle kits (IHON) spent some time on the phone with Jeff, and have it all worked out. This looks like a Scout that I would be proud to own:smokin: Ratz fab has stepped up with a frt bumper, so I will be working on my welding skills and post up how cool this bumper is. I want to build one of these for a Scout I have so I am looking forward to putting this one together. This seems like a really good idea for a Scout bumper. I will try to show the complete process of start to finish on this bumper.

Check out the the "U" bolts and axle mount plates, these are from IHON and are real beefy. I think the 1/2" "U" bolts will last way longer than the stock ones did. Bottom line these will last longer than you will, way over kill. I can't say enough about how Jeff has stepped up one this build. Super Scout has kicked in a bunch of goodys also and will be high lighted later in the build, stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Way late and this is the last for tonight, my guys (Ricky and Loren) are not into Scouts but are into this build. When I told them we would be going this for Charlie they were not impressed, then they meet Charlie, now they are way into getting this Scout done. They really want to make this right for him, and are questioning everything we can do and make it better:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I knew that fingers miss fired or toooo much whiskey last night. By the way did you see Loren's hat? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Today started out cutting the "U" bolts off. The portaband made quick work of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Finished up the IHON rear sway bars, Loren welded the tabs :flipoff2: Then the arms were removed and holes were drilled, then links were installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Part of the cleaning chores are the axle tubes. I have seen the ones for the Southeast so packed with mud and gaboo that it was like the muck was pressed in. Here's a shot of the axle tube before the axle goes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Next up, new ball joints, and reinstall the knuckles. It takes some efforts but with new ball joints, you need to replace the selves in the upper "C". We cut and turned this axle housing so we don't need castor correctors. If you are looking for a little more castor now would be the time.

I have loaded calipers and new rotors for car quest that will be going on tomorrow. I was shocked at the cost about 200 bones.

II am going to need a set of auto hubs if anyone has a set they want to toss at this build Shoot me a PM, I think this is the best way to handle the hubs for Charlie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Zakly, what we take for granted can be a strugle for Charlie. I wanted him to enjoy this Scout, bottom line if it is to hard for him to transfer from his wheel chair into the Scout seat he would not enjoy the Scout. The reasion we did the cut and turn is to ensure Charlie would not have an issue driving one handed most of the time...............Robert

·
Registered
23 Posts
Zakly, what we take for granted can be a strugle for Charlie. I wanted him to enjoy this Scout, bottom line if it is to hard for him to transfer from his wheel chair into the Scout seat he would not enjoy the Scout. The reasion we did the cut and turn is to ensure Charlie would not have an issue driving one handed most of the time...............Robert
Is that why you went with the Reverse Shackle? You'd spoke negatively about that in the past.

81 - 100 of 408 Posts