Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering what ideas people have come up with for a universal cheap throttle hand lock. Three pedals in my old F250 are manageable, but depending on the shoes or boots I am wearing, hitting the brake and throttle at the same time can be more challenging. This is usually when I am trying to finesse over an obstacle and slipping the clutch, revving the engine a bit and holding the brake to control going to far too fast. I am pretty sure people here know when a hand throttle device can be useful. Not looking for any debates. Just curious what some people have come up with. Something that will not impede street driving and safety. Meaning that the hand throttle can lock the throttle open, but the foot pedal will not get stuck unless intended, by manipulating the hand operated throttle lock. I searched it, maybe I just don't know the trade name for the device. I have a bunch of spare motorcycle parts like clutch levers, shift levers, cable etc. Before I rig something, I would like to see what other people have come up with, or if there is a cheap easy kit out there. The rig is a '76 F250 with Holley 4150 style modified carb. If the subject has been beaten to death, and I am just not hitting the right search queue's thanks for being kind and pointing me in the right direction.

Something like this. Anyone have experience with it? I like the idea of being able to hit the large red button to disengage the lock. Kind of a keep is simple kind of guy. http://www.awdirect.com/exterior-throttle-cable-15-foot-control-cable-vcgtx15/throttle-cables/

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I think you posted in the wrong section but....My hand hand throttle cost $8.55 and was one of the best things I did.

I used a bike brake. The style that has a lock button on it. I had it set two different ways. At first I set it so the RPM's were right so I could leave it on and crawl. And if I let the clutch out it would go again. Then, after 1 hill. I realized how fucking stupid it is to have a throttle lock. So I set it up where red line was at fully sqeezed. The current owner took me for a ride last weekend and its still functioning fine.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Mines an old Shimano bicycle shifter. It will keep constant throttle where ever you set it.

·
Banned
5,126 Posts
TiTRD:27444001 said:
Mines an old Shimano bicycle shifter. It will keep constant throttle where ever you set it.

On that note a bike shifter could be interesting, SRAM has a 1:1 pull, unlike Shimano, use a ten speed and have nine different locked in positions and the loosest is your idle. The only question would be if it took up enough slack with each pull to give you a wide range, I'm not sure how sensitive the throttle cable for your rig is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Genius and simple. That's what I was looking for. Throttle sensitivity can be fixed by changing the leverage of where I hook the cable to the carburetor. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts