Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building a 58 Willys. The Jeeps been in my family for many years, I picked it up in Oct. 2012. It was running at the time but was tired and in rough shape. I pulled it into the garage to rebuild the alternator and one thing led to another. You all know how that goes. I startied the build in the direction of cool street jeep for mild wheeling only. Built a 4.3 chevy and got a Muncie 4 speed and adapter to the stock t-case.

I then found pirate4x4 and did some hard wheeling with some buddies and things changed. Now turbo 350 and Dana 44s from a Scout. The body was really bad so I cut it in half right at the half cab. The plan is to hand build a truck bed. The back was stretched 16 inches. The tires in the photos are 31s. It is being built for 35s. I'm learning as I go so there is a lot of rework.



















 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
713 Posts
You could teach me so much. Great work.

Skip
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Looks good! I have wanted to build a cj2a truck for a while now. I started to build a truck instead of a stretched Willys,when I started my project.

It looks like you just built the sheet metal brake? how wide is it? do you just tighten the bolts down to clamp the metal? what gauge sheet metal have you bent with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I built the brake with some free scrap from a jobsite at work. It works pretty well. It will bend a 30" piece. Not sure what gauge sheet metal I've been using. The top piece did warp some when I welded it up so I usually put a c-clamp reaching in a far as possible to hold it down tight. I use the two bolt on the outside edges to hold it down but mostly to stop it from sliding back. Before I put it together I machined slots into the c-channel to allow for some different top clamps later down the road. It is was to build it again I would not put the handles towards the outside, too much deflection in the center.

Yes bead rolling it myself. Harbor freight bead roller with a 2x4x.125 box tubing to strengthen it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Looks good and some real good ideas so keep up the good work! It will be a fun trail worthy rig when you get it finished!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slow progress lately. Found a deal on an XJ I couldn't pass up. Planned to fix it and sell it... Then ended up really liking it and built it for a daily driver.

Ditched the original frame. I really wanted to keep as much original Willys as possible but everything has been too far gone. The spirit of the Willys is still there!

I made the frame out of 3/16". The center piece is a 2x5. 2x4 at the ends. It ended up being 13'10" bumper to bumper. WB 107"







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16






Sorry, Its a mess in this picture. I was pulling the XJ motor in the other bay and the mayhem spread.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
864 Posts
Looks like great project you gave going. Glad to see your back at it! Keep the updates coming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots happening lately. I got side tracked for a few months with some other projects. I found a deal on a nice 2-door XJ that I just couldn't pass up and now feel like I've replaced every part on the thing. Also did a bunch of work on the house and built some mini-bikes for more screwing around.

Back to the Willys: I have now made a habit of building something, deciding it isn't good enough and cutting it apart and starting over. Did that on the frame, now doing it on the body. My issue was I put the big step below the seats to have room for mufflers and side exhaust, once that plan changed it was a big waste of space. I also found that with the way I have built the tranny tunnel, the passengers leg would contact the tunnel and just not be comfortable. So i cut out the entire floor and transmission tunnel and started over. I also sold the Rancho CJ5 leaf springs. I really liked the ride height with them but this thing has gotten much larger and heavier than a cj5 so I figure its best to upgrade the suspension.

It may still be leaf springs all the way around or I may link the front. Not sure yet. I am on the fence about ditching the half built scout axles for one tons. The suspension decision will come after that.

I built a nice little work area for the metal fabrication. It's great having everything plugged in and easily accessible.


Someone asked me about my modified bead roller. Here it is. I'd love to add a motor and foot petal but i've decided no new projects until the Willys is complete!


For the transmission tunnel I started in the back section for the driveshaft. This let me get some experience and figure stuff out. The bar just below the t-case output will be cut out later.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This next piece was a bit more difficult but I'm really happy with how it turned out. It covers three separate planes with a single piece. It took a few tries on the templetes but I only cut and bent one piece of steel.





Lots of template making...


Drivers side:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And another piece on the passenger side installed and tacked in.


The cardboard template has been transferred to steel but I ran out of time last night and didn't get it installed. The top piece over this near complete center section will be one flat piece. I'll hold off for a bit on it as I'll need to cut some slots in it for the shifters and probably some other stuff. Moving up to the last section and the firewall this weekend. Have to work tonight and Saturday but my goal is to have the tunnel, firewall, and floor cut and tacked in by the end of the weekend. Then comes petals, steering column, and cage before the body comes off to be finish welded.

 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top