Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an individual go through local law enforcement or maybe the ATF and look up the serial number of a handgun to see if it's properly registered? I'm looking at buying a used glock 22 for a good deal but I don't totally trust the seller. I'd like to make sure the thing isn't stolen or something.

Abrams

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I know this can be done through an FFL easy enough. I would imagine you could get the serial # and take it to a Police station, and have them run it as well.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
There is a handgun registration in MN?! :flipoff2:

Police will run a serial probably. Just checking for stolen firearms.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Registration?:shaking::shaking:

Running the numbers will only tell you if it was stolen and REPORTED. I know for a fact I have seen guns that were 100% hot sold from a dealers shelf. I even told one that a gun he sold was stolen as I knew the person it was stolen from. He said nothing he could do about that, if the owners didn't report it stolen there was nothing to say it was stolen.

Simple solution. If you don't trust the guy selling it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As an FFL I have no way to verify a stolen weapon, but as a police officer I do. Take the SN to your local LEA and have them run it, remember to get the make and model as well. If it sounds too good to be true it probaly is.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Registration?:shaking::shaking:

Simple solution. If you don't trust the guy selling it, don't buy it.
Ok I understand that, I guess I have no real reason to think it's stolen. Just overly cautious is all. It's not a too good to be true deal, just a pretty good deal :). He's had possession of it for 5 years that I know of, so I'm relatively sure it's clean. I'm going down to the sheriffs office his afternoon to check it out.

Abrams

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Like intenseimages said - there is NO WAY to tell for sure that a gun has or has not been stolen by "running the numbers". CANNOT be done.

What you can do, is have the police "run the numbers" to tell you if that gun has been REPORTED stolen.

For any state that allows un-registered person-to-person sales, there is also no such thing as "properly registered".

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
once a gun is in the reported stolen database, it stays there until LEO has it removed, and then it takes a bit to be sure it is OUT of the system.

case 1) buddy buys a gun from an estate of an 84 year old man...wife says he has had firearm for over 25 yearts and bought it from a dealer, has receipt(WOW) for it. Buddy buys gun for good deal...6 months later he is at a insurance traffic stop checkpoint and is asked if he has any guns in his car...replies yes, they ask for gun, they run numbers...it was stolen in the 50's...he loses gun and almost goes to jail.

case2) someone buys a gun from person who says it was stolen from him, then returned by LEO, has paperwork for it... eight months later buyer has gun on table at gunshow when LEO group comes around running SN of random guns and this one comes up stolen...person shows paperwork and embarrassing moment ensues for LEO.

if you are not sure, don't buy it, otherwise, spend you money and spin the wheel.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I just call the local Sheriff and ask them to run it. they do and call me back. Easy enough.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
I know this can be done through an FFL easy enough.
:confused:

I would live to hear how. Everything I have checked so far has been a big fat no

it the reason I don't do trades or buy used firearms.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
Well, redpitbull calls jokemon. Call goes like this:

RPB-Hey dude, is this glock stolen? Serial 122332?
JM-Um, what?
RPB-I'm looking at buying this Glock, can you tell me if it's stolen...
JM-Uhh... Nope. Nuh uh. Sure isn't.
RPB-Are you sure?
JM-Completely.
RPB-Cool, thanks.
JM-Well, not completely, but my source says "Don't count on it" or "Reply is hazy", so I'm going with no.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sheriffs office is supposed to call me back tomorrow so we shall see. How about finding out the original purchaser of a gun? Can that be done? Now I'm just generally curious is all.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I know this can be done through an FFL easy enough. I would imagine you could get the serial # and take it to a Police station, and have them run it as well.
:confused:

I would live to hear how. Everything I have checked so far has been a big fat no

it the reason I don't do trades or buy used firearms.
The two gun shops I frequent told me they call in the serial #s of trade in guns to see if they have been reported stolen. They make said phone call to some type of law enforcement, somewhere up the ladder. To whom, I am not aware. I know that the local PD around here will check serial numbers for you too. Does yours not do this?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
The two gun shops I frequent told me they call in the serial #s of trade in guns to see if they have been reported stolen. They make said phone call to some type of law enforcement, somewhere up the ladder. To whom, I am not aware. I know that the local PD around here will check serial numbers for you too. Does yours not do this?
See my first post to this thread to clarify where I think you got off track with your wording...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Not sure who yall are calling to obtain the NCIC information, but in doing doing so, they are risking their careers, at best. By law, an officer must have the firearm present, or it must be pursuant to an active investigation to run it. Running a gun to see if it is stolen before purchase is expressly illegal.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Not sure who yall are calling to obtain the NCIC information, but in doing doing so, they are risking their careers, at best. By law, an officer must have the firearm present, or it must be pursuant to an active investigation to run it. Running a gun to see if it is stolen before purchase is expressly illegal.

Really?

Never had a problem with 3 different counties Sheriff's offices. Never a question either. I just tell them I was thinking of buying the gun and wanted to know if it showed on the sheets. They call me back and tell me if it is. I've not called one in and had them call me back telling me it was on the hot sheets yet so I dunno what would happen then.

They even told me the last known owner of my Ruger Security 6 was the Wake County Sheriffs Dept. :smokin:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Most all agencies who use Uniform Crime Reporting or Nat'l Incident Based Reporting System have clearing house type reporting agencies who have access to this information. Among other responsibilities, these are the same reporting centers that repo/towtruck drivers usually call in and report a car towed/repo'd so officers don't file a stolen vehicle to NCIC when it hasn't been, in fact, stolen.

While citizens can't call them and ask for the information, citizens can ask for an officer to be dispatched to their location, and if the firearm is present they can check that firearm. But, if it does return as reported stolen, that citizen has some explaining to do and a likely interview with the ATF.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Really?

Never had a problem with 3 different counties Sheriff's offices. Never a question either. I just tell them I was thinking of buying the gun and wanted to know if it showed on the sheets. They call me back and tell me if it is. I've not called one in and had them call me back telling me it was on the hot sheets yet so I dunno what would happen then.

They even told me the last known owner of my Ruger Security 6 was the Wake County Sheriffs Dept. :smokin:
Yes, really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts