Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a handheld that I can use on my dirt bike, in the sand rail or anywhere else I may want to take it. But based on the rough conditions of the bike and rail, Im looking for something durable. Price is an issue, I would like to keep it under $250 if possible, as far as features go... I dont really know what I need. What are you guys and gals using in the rough conditions.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,818 Posts
I have a Garmin etrex Legend C and love it. I have the baja map, us topo maps and the us roadmap sets. (the roadmap is a little dated, but I do not care, I use it least) They no longer make this model, its replacement has a replaceable memory chip.

I picked it up due to the fact it has a slightly larger window than the other etrex's. I really like trip computer features for finding places.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I have a Garmin etrex Legend C and love it.
+1

I have the Legend CX and it's been great. Waterproof to boot! I like how it's very minimalistic as far as buttons and user interface.

I think I paid $250 or so at Bass Pro and then another $100 or so on the expansion software and a carry case. I was looking to spend around $200-$250 and was a bit hesitant to go over budget, but it was worth every penny.

My fiance likes it too because it's simple to use and, well, that alone is a priceless feature.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I've had the Garmin map76 for about five years now without a problem. I have a mount for it in my wifes skiff, we use it as a backup in our offshore boat, we use it in the truck when we travel, and I have a mount for it on my hunting pack. I can download detailed maps of anywhere in the country onto it from the topo software, and it has a base map of the world already programmed into it. It was a well spent 200.00 .

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just another vote for Garmin, mine is an etrex Vista. I have little expreience with other brands but this one works for me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I almost bought a new Garmin at REI yesterday then backed out. Went home last night and there is a Garmin Vista for $150 with protective case, picked it up this morning. Thanks for the info

J

·
Registered
494 Posts
After a week in the back country with My rino 120 (frs radio = GPS) it worked great and is still ticking after 2 diffrent baths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts