Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a handheld to keep in touch while walking. I already have a radio in the vehicle so I'm not concerned about the decreased range inherent with handhelds. My problem is I cant seem to find any threads regarding whose handheld is the best? What am I looking for? Who's is most popular? What do most organizations like the ski patrol use?

Icom F3011
Yaesu FT-60
Vertex
Any others?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Do you need the dual band radio? VHF is what most race teams use.

The main thing is you want a field programable radio. The FT 60 is that and dual band.

Single band VHF's that I have used and are field programmable are the ICOM v82 or V80, Yaesu FT-270R/FT250R and Kenwood TH-K2AT.

At that point it's pretty much price and individual functions. The ICOM V82 has 7w of power as opposed to the others with 5w. The FT250R is the smallest one. The Kenwood can be used while it's charging/plugged in.

These two places usually have pretty good prices.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_111_113

2m category

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=matrix&catcode=tx-ht

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have had great luck with the Yaesu-250R its the ham version of the vertex 150.

They are RUGGED. We lost one off the back of a quad running at 50mph last year and it was fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the FT60 awhile back. It has been a good little radio. I agree that a better antenna is necessary. I bought it with the mod from The Antenna Farm. I have had it for a few years now and it works real well. With the 12v charger it can be used however I have never needed to recharge during a race if I only use it when out of the truck. I have dropped it many times and it still works like a champ. With a hand held field programmable is a must. I almost never end up using it on pre-programed channels. Also it has a lot more channels than most commercial hand held. I recommend getting the PC programing software too.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Do you need to mod these radios to transmit up in the business bands as well? This thread couldn't have come at a better time as I was just about to start it myself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
yes.

the yeasu requires a screw driver and an exacto to perform the mod.

Took me about 10 minutes to mod two radios and drink a couple of beers.

I am about to buy a few more for this year

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The nice thing about many of the 2m/440 radios is that they have huge Rx ranges and can be used as a scanner for all sorts of stuff. I have thought of getting a dual band one for that reason (NASCAR is in the 460Mhz range for example).

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I have had great luck with the Yaesu-250R its the ham version of the vertex 150.

They are RUGGED. We lost one off the back of a quad running at 50mph last year and it was fine.
What he said, radio still works fine.

yes.

the yeasu requires a screw driver and an exacto to perform the mod.

Took me about 10 minutes to mod two radios and drink a couple of beers.

I am about to buy a few more for this year
I know this link mentions a different model but it works on the 250.
http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/vx-150r.htm

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about those that dont have badass celebrities phone numbers :flipoff2: :laughing:

lol, thats funny. He recommended the FT-270, seems to be what everyone is running. The guy at antenna farm can help you out. The mod to TX takes less than a minute. Now I am trying to decide what kind of speaker/mic I want. I think I want an FBI style unit for one ear.

Chest rigs are here:

http://www.coaxsher.com/Radio-Chest-Harnesses-s/37.htm
http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=3
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Patrol-Radio-Chest-Harness,758,2.htm

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Thats funny. I have multiple vx 170's and the newer 270 and have been really happy with the hand held.
I'm thinking of buying a vx270 for pitting for gunmetal. Is this a good choice, does ruggedradio sell this model, should I wait until I'm on the lakebed to purchase?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Looking at purchasing a handheld to keep in touch while walking. I already have a radio in the vehicle so I'm not concerned about the decreased range inherent with handhelds. My problem is I cant seem to find any threads regarding whose handheld is the best? What am I looking for? Who's is most popular? What do most organizations like the ski patrol use?
Depends on what you want the radio for.

For ski patrol, search and rescue, or race duty where you also need to transmit, you need a radio in the business band, and that means you need to buy an expensive business band radio and have it programmed and all of the other crap.

My wife uses an FT-60R with good results on the ham bands, and I carry a VX-7R, which is a quad band radio (6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70cm) with dual VFO/dual watch, so I can monitor two frequencies at once. It's also waterproof and has held up great. It receives race frequencies and FRS, along with aircraft, shortwave, and who knows what else.

But neither passes muster as an official business band VHF radio. Fine for monitoring, and fine ($11,000 if you're caught) for TXing out of band - though there is that *IF* you get caught part.

For legitimate business band use, you'll need to avoid any of the really cheap used business HTs, since they likely don't do narrow-FM, and thus are still not compliant (aka TK-730 mobiles are pretty reasonable, but only the TK-730HG does narrow-FM so all of the others are non-compliant on the business VHF bands even though they used to be compliant)

Race teams don't seem to care if you use a legal radio or not, but I bet your ski patrol or Search & Rescue does.. and more so if you're part of a VFD, EMS, or anything like that. They seem to pay attention when the FCC goes around and slaps municipalities with $11,000 / transmitter / day fines for using ham radios in the business band. They have a higher chance of getting caught, too, of course.

·
Change is good.
35,194 Posts
I have a FT60 and had no problem reaching the lakebed from plaque-rock on Sledge. That being said, I just bought a hotrod 1/4 wave antenna for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts