Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
The only thing you REALLY NEED when you buy this saw is time :D
It is slow, that was the only real downfall, and why I sold mine.

Here are some cuts I did with my harbor freight bandsaw and also the stand I built.

For 144 can't go wrong though. Def better than chop saw :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Got mine and i am happy with it. I have been needing one for some time now. It does take a while, but it beats the chop saw and sawzall for lopping off chunks of metal for machining. Start the cut and walk away and by the time your done turning the part the next should be ready and waiting :D

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
The only thing you REALLY NEED when you buy this saw is time :D
It is slow, that was the only real downfall, and why I sold mine.
That's time I can spend on something else while the saw cuts unattended.

Enco has the blades even cheaper. Their no-name blades are Lenox, I didn't realize this until it arrived.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey everyone thanks so much for this great thread and information, I thought I would let everyone know that the coupon is back!

I have only been able to find it in a machining magazine.

The coupon code is: 75631150
Lot number: 93762
Expires: 7/11/11

I called my local harbor freight because I lost the actual coupon but was able to look up the coupon code. The manager said that if you add the item to your cart on their website and the coupon code works to show the discount, you can print off the shopping cart page with the discount and they will honor that price in store.

Have fun

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bumping this one. I'm in the market for one of these horizontal band saws, but the price is up to $250 (on sale from $300). Still worth it? Or should I look elsewhere? I know there are some 25% off coupons out there. That'd make it about $190.

What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Northern Industrial Metal Cutting Band Saw with Swivel Head — 5In. x 6In., 1/3 HP, 110V Motor | Band Saws| Northern Tool + Equipment

there are several versions of this out there as well. I would consider it before I got another "normal" 4x6.

I still have my original one like linked in the posts above from about 1994 or 1995. I got it for $99 shipped from Harbor Freight. I did the tuning mods, put a good blade on it with a good home made stand, and it has been indispensible. I also have a 7x10 Jet too for larger stock.

Do the recommended mods, and the little 4x6 will serve you well.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Will they accept that as a coupon?
It's been years since I've had an issue with a scanned coupon.

I usually size them so they're about 2" across but as that wiki says, your mileage may vary. That one I'd think about lighten it up a bit so it looks less yellow, but they probably wouldn't care at my store.

Some people have also just shown and scanned their phone. I've not tried that. Or if the scanner doesn't grab the barcode off the phone, they've read the number under the barcode to the cashier.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
They accepted it for me when I picked mine up yesterday.
Remember, first mod is a decent blade.

One store here had a boxed unit for $150 and another return up front. Wonder what it will go for; like the pound, I hate to walk out leaving them behind.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I'm planning on picking one up this week!
I'll caution you now that it is a really good buy, but you will need to do lots of tweeks right out of the box.

The first thing you will discover is that the arm won't drop enuff to cut clean thru, so simply grab a grinder and grind away at the 45 angle on right side of table until it does clear the pivoting saw blade sheet metal cover and screws.

Then beware that altho you buy a USA made bi metal blade and are tickled with it at first, it will start to cut really crooked once the upper half wallows out the left side hinge on lower table.

it's a cheap and easy fix to order a pair of 5/8's X 3/4" brass bushings and a hardened micro polished 9 " long 5/8" steel shaft from Grainger for a total of 15 bucks that will fix those cast pivots forever....all you do once it starts to wander, is order the shaft and brass bushing, then borrow a 3/4" reamer and in 30 minutes you have a saw that is better than new and will cut accurate for many years to come.

There is a guy on the net that installed pillow block bearings in place of the cast shaft pivot bosses, but my method is way cheaper and quicker.

I'll take some pics and post the Grainger part numbers soon, but don't hesitate to buy that HF saw and use it until then...It really is a good buy as long as you know it needs lots of tweeking and expect to instantly replace the blade with USA bimetal blade, then after about 500 cuts be ready and willing to ream out, brass bush and re-shaft the hinge points...After that it will last forever....15 bucks and a little work will save it and make it a shop workhorse with correct blades and your hand on it as it cuts.

I've got a pic of that bitch cutting angle iron in 10ths sliver to post if I can find it.

·
Banned
502 Posts

Here ya go if the link works from my photo bucket.

That little Harbor Freight 4X6 band saw will cut accurate slivers like this once you install a decent USA made bimetal blade and tweek it in and disconnect that stupid assed spring loaded counter weight and simply keep your hand on it and support it's weight as it cuts.

Trust me, the longer you rely on the spring loaded counter weight, the sooner you will need to rebush the lower table hinge boss on the left side like I need to now.

I'll post pics and a tech guide soon as I rebush mine including Grainger part numbers and all, but in the mean time buy that bitch from Harbor Freight while it is on sale and the coupon is good.....It is the SAME saw offered at Home Depot and Lowes and Grizzley plus other places but perhaps a different color paint.

I fucking LOVE mine and swear by it.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts