Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I am exploring my options for tie downs. Doing the chain vs strap debate in my head. I found that Harbor Freight has their 9250K chain ratchet binders on-sale. Anyone use these? Thoughts on these vs a standard 2 inch 10K break strenght strap tie down?

Chad

·
Registered
561 Posts
i personally dont like ratchet binders. i think they are a PITA to use and it takes me forever to get em really tight. i use the flip binders,and put a bungee cord around em for alittle peace of mind. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use them on my buggy, and they work good ... probably from the same HF you are getting them from :)

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
i se two flips binders both on the driver side of the trailer so i can see them wiggle if they have any issues and then a ratchet on the passenger side rear corner that way i can take up any slack after things settle without undoing my swing binders

·
Registered
653 Posts
I use those binders for my bobcat all the time, have not had any problems except if you don't keep them lubed up and let them sit out, they will rust a bit and you have to lube up again to make them work smoothly again, but still no biggy.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
saprobe said:
i personally dont like ratchet binders. i think they are a PITA to use and it takes me forever to get em really tight. i use the flip binders,and put a bungee cord around em for alittle peace of mind. ;)
Used my binders for the first time this weekend. I got mine from AWDirect.com, they are US made.

Trick to not racheting all day long is to install the binders in the rear, but not tighten them yet, install and tighten the 2" straps on the front and then tighten the rear binders. Rock solid attachments.

And then DRM showed up at Wooly's with one (ONE!) Grade 30 (maybe) 5/16's chain holding down his Toy in the front. You could tell he hadn't read the 6 page "straps vs. binders" or "straight vs. crossed" threads! :)

Al

·
Registered
561 Posts
Albin said:
Trick to not racheting all day long is to install the binders in the rear, but not tighten them yet, install and tighten the 2" straps on the front and then tighten the rear binders. Rock solid attachments.
that would be ok if i used straps up front ;)

i have 4 chains that are permantly attached to the trailer. i hook up the front axle to the 2 front chains with as little slack as possible,then tighten the rear. i may have to flip each rear a couple times. rock solid and much easier than all that ratcheting :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
We have chains hooked to the trailer in the frt and a strap or binder in the rear. Binder works fine.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
For God's sake, if you are going to use chain and binders, get USA made units. Hint, the links will be stamped USA. Go to a pawn shop in the industrial area of town and dig through their bin.

The china crap WILL stretch and break. Good chain and binders will cost a bit more but will last forever.

chadjans said:
Well guys I am exploring my options for tie downs. Doing the chain vs strap debate in my head. I found that Harbor Freight has their 9250K chain ratchet binders on-sale. Anyone use these? Thoughts on these vs a standard 2 inch 10K break strenght strap tie down?

Chad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts