Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Ok I have to ask why do you have to exchange a ratchet every 2 1/2 months. Good god man. They make breaker bars for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. I've never understood how people break chrome sockets and ratchets on any kind of regular basis without doing something stupid that would void a warranty anyway. I've only worn out one ratchet in my life and it was a cheap ACE hardware brand 3/8 drive that I used the hell out of for years and abused. I've lost far more hand tools than I've broken with the exception of HF impact sockets. They stretch when hammering on something really stuck with my m18 fuel impact, not really sure that's a hand tool anyway.

What are you people doing that broken sockets, end wrenches, and ratchets are a real concern?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
What are you people doing that broken sockets, end wrenches, and ratchets are a real concern?
Some people's time is just so valuable that they feel compelled to put a pipe on a 3/8 wrench and use chrome sockets with an impact.

These are usually the same geniuses who preach about how great their Strap-On tools are when in reality the perception of value is the only thing that keeps them from treating them just as badly.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I've lost far more hand tools than I've broken with the exception of HF impact sockets. They stretch when hammering on something really stuck with my m18 fuel impact, not really sure that's a hand tool anyway.
Really? That's the only HF tool I believe in. I have a set of the deep SAE and metric set and they are the best bang for the buck out there. Been using the SAE set for 15 years, excessively and never had one fail.

EDIT: For tool breakage, I've had a couple cheaper chinese sockets crack before, and definitely seen many a cheaper 12 point just strip the teeth out. Screwdrivers all die and I've killed a few, but my Matco have gone on for years. They just hold their shape longer due to superior metallurgy. Wrenches? Chinese wrenches flex and bend the open end all the time. Craftsman does too, at least it did for me on several of the smaller sizes. That is one place I would prefer spend money. I've broken lots of universal joints and wobble extensions, but that's sorta the nature of the design since it necks down where it pops in the socket. Countless pliers of various sorts have died due to low quality metal bending, and they just aren't as tight as quality stuff. My Cornwell and Snap-on stuff still lives along with a lot of Channel lock.

I do think HF has gone way up in quality and so has Husky, Kobalt and the like. But if I'm gonna own it for life, I'd rather have a set I can be proud of, and I like to buy USA when I can. Nothing wrong with that. I don't judge the guy getting the job done with the cheap shit either, and I buy cheap shit when I don't have it, I'm in a pinch, and can't order something.

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
This. I've never understood how people break chrome sockets and ratchets on any kind of regular basis without doing something stupid that would void a warranty anyway. I've only worn out one ratchet in my life and it was a cheap ACE hardware brand 3/8 drive that I used the hell out of for years and abused. I've lost far more hand tools than I've broken with the exception of HF impact sockets. They stretch when hammering on something really stuck with my m18 fuel impact, not really sure that's a hand tool anyway.

Seriously.

I've broken one 13/16th impact socket.... in my entire life... and i beat on tools everyday as a field tech. And it just cracked so i replaced it in a kit.

I use tools way past what they are often intended and still don't have issues. I have a 15 year old set of wehha or whatever screwdrivers that o use almost every day... primarily craftsman and HF sockets.

Socket adapters is about all i break.

I don't wonder how people maim themselves i guess when tools break... most of the time they were probably doing something totally dumbass.

Never had any small HF wrenches so I can't comment on them... just some huge ones. At HF you can usually tell what tools are total crap by looking at them. There small anodized colored socket sets (12 and 6 point) have all been fine for me... i use them to replace the craftsman ones ive lost. Their 1/2 imapct sockets are excellent.... but buy your impact adapters elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Really? That's the only HF tool I believe in. I have a set of the deep SAE and metric set and they are the best bang for the buck out there. Been using the SAE set for 15 years, excessively and never had one fail.

EDIT: For tool breakage, I've had a couple cheaper chinese sockets crack before, and definitely seen many a cheaper 12 point just strip the teeth out. Screwdrivers all die and I've killed a few, but my Matco have gone on for years. They just hold their shape longer due to superior metallurgy. Wrenches? Chinese wrenches flex and bend the open end all the time. Craftsman does too, at least it did for me on several of the smaller sizes. That is one place I would prefer spend money. I've broken lots of universal joints and wobble extensions, but that's sorta the nature of the design since it necks down where it pops in the socket. Countless pliers of various sorts have died due to low quality metal bending, and they just aren't as tight as quality stuff. My Cornwell and Snap-on stuff still lives along with a lot of Channel lock.

I do think HF has gone way up in quality and so has Husky, Kobalt and the like. But if I'm gonna own it for life, I'd rather have a set I can be proud of, and I like to buy USA when I can. Nothing wrong with that. I don't judge the guy getting the job done with the cheap shit either, and I buy cheap shit when I don't have it, I'm in a pinch, and can't order something.

I would think most of us would prefer Made in USA stamped on our shit. I scour CL a lot for hand tools. Snap-on, Matco, etc. every once in a while I find some that I am fairly certain aren't stolen so I go grab them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I ordered Tekton wrenches and socket sets. I supplemented those with HF Tool Box and odds and ends like allen wrenches, rubber mallet, tool organizers, etc.

The Tekton stuff was only a bit more than Harbor Freight's "pro" line, and a bit less than Husky/Kobalt. Plus it was easy to order online through Amazon.

I feel I ended up with tools that are more than adequate for this application, and didn't spend anymore than we had to. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I saved that link. This could be perfect to stick in the back of my 4runner. Does it included any type of tool sorter/holder or box?
Nope. Everything comes wrapped in cheap brown paper, you think you got ripped off when you first open the box.

My standard procedure is to buy a roll around tool box and socket organizers at harbor freight to match the Klutch tool set.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I had no issues using the HF impact sockets with my IR231, but with my M18 fuel I have to be careful if something is stuck really tight. They will stretch into a horn at the end and round off the bolt/nut head if I hammer on it for too long. I've got a smaller sae milwaukee shockwave set that doesn't have this problem. Will be buying name brand impact sockets in the near future.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Nope. Everything comes wrapped in cheap brown paper, you think you got ripped off when you first open the box.

My standard procedure is to buy a roll around tool box and socket organizers at harbor freight to match the Klutch tool set.
Thanks for that info.

I'm gonna order that with my tax $$ and leave it at mom's.

My mother's 04 Monte Carlo requires monthly maintenance. :shaking: The lack of hauling my tools to and from will make it easier (as long as she keeps cooking that breakfast casserole). :smokin:

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts

I straight abuse the fuck out of my tools and rarely break something. Like MAYBE once a year. And I use them all day everyday. I don't understand how people tear up what they do either.

And my tools can't break, for one I don't want to get hurt when they do and second if I'm on a service call my spare tools are not handy.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Of course in a perfect world we would all love to have a big tool box full of usa tools. With craftsman gone to shit, not everyone can justify spending 30k on tools that get used a few times a month, on things that don't have a hard deadline.

Heck even some of the bling tools are made over seas. My wife was trying to buy me a nice father's day gift. She bought me a nice set of mac ratchet Wrenches, which cost just under $300.....made in Taiwan :shaking:

·
Gravity Works!
30,945 Posts
Do they cost an arm and a leg?:flipoff2:
Nah just a leg. :flipoff2:

Buying cheap HF or crap Chinese made tools cost you more in the long run too.

So they bought a cheap Chinese made counter sink bit set for work. They didn't last very long so they stepped up and bought a good quality set made in USA. They'd saved money if they would've bought the quality set first off.

There's other countries that make quaility tools too like west Germany and Japan. Hell, Taiwan makes better tools then china does.

·
Gravity Works!
30,945 Posts
Of course in a perfect world we would all love to have a big tool box full of usa tools. With craftsman gone to shit, not everyone can justify spending 30k on tools that get used a few times a month, on things that don't have a hard deadline.

Heck even some of the bling tools are made over seas. My wife was trying to buy me a nice father's day gift. She bought me a nice set of mac ratchet Wrenches, which cost just under $300.....made in Taiwan :shaking:
Craftsman tools went to shit because people rather buy shitty tools due to the cost. This forces companies to compete by having here once usa made tools made in china. Then what happens is when China owns the tool market their prices go up. Now you're paying good money for crappy China made tools. Reap what you sow.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts