Pirate 4x4 banner

561 - 580 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
As others say, they break. They’re more “holds” than “clamps” and will work if you acknowledge that.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I picked up a 36" pipe wrench from HF, no clue how it works on pipes, but it works great to bend and twist flat bar and such. They have one larger than 36", but I figured it would just be to large to actually use. I think I got the idea to use it from somewhere here on Pirate, it does make quick work of flat bar in a vice! I'll probably grind off the teeth, or at least round the edges to lessen any marks that it leaves.

For $20 or so, it makes a great every-now-and-then tool to help bend something. 36 in. Steel Pipe Wrench

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
I’ve looked at those things, but considering how some of their other castings fare I wondered how long it would take me to break it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought one of these years ago:

18" Jumbo Adjustable Wrench

Awesome for bending/twisting flat bar and metal in general, and no need to grind off teeth. I think I originally bought it to tighten some control arm jam nuts.

That, and it's a comically oversized crescent wrench. I still chuckle every time I pull it out.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
A few things I have had good luck with--

Noid light set. It was very cheap and is a great troubleshooting tool for FI.

Portapower set. I bought the bigger one IIRC, also bought some small jacks to go with it. I use it far more than I thought I would. Always finding things to do with it. It is one tool I wish I had bought twenty years ago.

I buy their cheap pneumatic tires whenever I am through and they have a sale on, they are dirt cheap and handy for all sorts of stuff.

I have their bigger aluminum floor jack. I love the silly thing, but the rubber non skid pad that was glued on the jacks pad fell off very quickly. Other than that, no complaints, it is solid.

Panel popper set. Not great quality, but they are nice for pulling off interior trim panels without ruining the clips.

Things I cannot recommend are the air chuck/quick connects. I found that some were fine, but I had several that were restricting airflow by more than 50%. It isn't worth the gamble when you can get they for a few bucks at a hardware store and get better quality. Their sandblasting pot was about useless. Someday I will get back to modifying it to work. Their cross slide vise-- while it works and I only use it for my drill press, there have been numerous problems and for the cost it wasn't worth it.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I picked up a 36" pipe wrench from HF, no clue how it works on pipes, but it works great to bend and twist flat bar and such. They have one larger than 36", but I figured it would just be to large to actually use. I think I got the idea to use it from somewhere here on Pirate, it does make quick work of flat bar in a vice! I'll probably grind off the teeth, or at least round the edges to lessen any marks that it leaves.

For $20 or so, it makes a great every-now-and-then tool to help bend something. 36 in. Steel Pipe Wrench
I bought their largest pipe wrench for use on tightening pinion nuts. Has worked great with that (and other things :laughing:). I would recommend it (it is a damn big b*tch though!).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I always check out the HF Slick Deals thread, since they always have the most up to date coupons and free item coupons. I will stack UP on free stuff since its pretty much on my way home from work. I literally have several dozen if not more of some of the individual items below :laughing:

Harbor Freight Coupon Thread 04-02-2009 - Slickdeals.net

Things that have been or currently are free coupons:
- Detail Brush Set
- Box Openers
- Clamps
- Camo Bungee Cords
- Tape Measure
- Garden Gloves
- Funnel Set
- 6" Tagnetic Tray
- Head Lamp
- Screwdriver Set
- Various LED lights (I've got a LOT of the blue ones...they're good stuff)
- Scissors
- Tarps
- Zip Ties (just saw this one :D)
- Reach Tool
- Multimeter
- AAA and AA batteries
- Nylon Rope

And the list goes on...

Its all menial stuff, but its nice to have many of these various things to put in the trailer box, truck box, car, etc.

·
Registered
21,825 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Got the 5 drawer tool cart the other day to put my valve grinder on top of. Had to shorten it some, but it's pretty damn beefy! I'm impressed! Will probably get a couple more someday

30 in. 5 Drawer 704 lb. Capacity Glossy Red Tool Cart

Also grabbed a couple of these clamp on halogen lights... They are pretty damn bright, and the clamp on them is strong! If the light ever completely shits the bed I will still have the clamp for gluing stuff, etc. I found the perfect use for it tonight. I have a welding table outside the shop where I like to do most of my grinding and dirty work. Always held a flashlight in my mouth to cut/grind which sucks ass... Now with this light I can clamp it on some conduit running up the side of the shop and aim it right at the vise. Perfect! :D

150 Watt Portable Clamp Light

And these little round wire brushes are always handy to have around. I picked up a couple more packs of them because I'm pretty hard on them in the parts washer and cleaning out oil galleys in blocks and whatnot.

10 Piece Tube Brush Kit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got the two-ton cherry picker, used it to pick up the front end of my buddy's Hyundai accent because my Craftsman Jack broke... Worked good, I feel really comfortable using it to pull motors now :D

Also got a compressor from them. Not a real big one, but it said it was rated to run an impact wrench. It will run one, but you have to stop every 5 minutes and let it catch up.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I bought one of these years ago:

18" Jumbo Adjustable Wrench

Awesome for bending/twisting flat bar and metal in general, and no need to grind off teeth. I think I originally bought it to tighten some control arm jam nuts.

That, and it's a comically oversized crescent wrench. I still chuckle every time I pull it out.
I have one like that from Ching Chang Freight but it's about 3ft long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
14" chop saw. Burned up the motor twice, each the first time I used them. I've been using the 3rd for a few years now no problems.
Pipe bender kinks everything you put in it.
The buffer vibrates so bad it pulled the lag screws out of the concrete.
I have a mile marker winch I bought there years ago on my trailer never had a problem from it.
The earth quake impact wrench works good.
Bought a set of drill bits and the were all dull and needed sharpened, but have held up well since if your not too hard on them.
A friend bought a drill press and the housing around the spindle broke on the 2nd use. He also had the cherry picker and bent one of the legs lifting a 500 caddy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How are the HF quick clamps?
These clamps? They work ok, but will break, I've broken a number of the pistol grip orange ones,
I've gotten quite a few of those, and broken many...
how do you guys break these clamps? throw them on the floor? wtf??? :flipoff2:
i can't get them to clamp tight enough to break anything, all they do is slip
i consider them snuggers not clamps :D

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
how do you guys break these clamps? throw them on the floor? wtf??? :flipoff2:
i can't get them to clamp tight enough to break anything, all they do is slip
i consider them snuggers not clamps :D
Yes maybe one or tow have broken after having gotten pissed and thrown them across the garage :laughing:

The ones that broke while working, tended to be from weight shifting to where it pried at the clamp jaws until they snapped off. To me they're more for wood work...metal work just tends to be too much for them.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I recently bought a HF hydraulic motorcycle lift. 299 buck price was too cheap to resist.
It works just fine and is very stable with a 400 pound bike on it. The front wheel clamp is shitty but usable...
Only dislike is 52 pumps of the foot lever to raise it all the way.....Less pumps with more effort would be better for me.

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
I just bought the electric pipe threader. I plan to thread a bunch of 1/2" stainless for the small micro-brewery I'm building (10-12 gal batches) so we'll see how it works - I bought the 2 yr warranty just in case.
Searched the thread, but could only find this one mention of the pipe threader. I know people buy the pipe threader to run the tubing rollers but how are the dies? I have a couple projects coming up where buying black pipe in 10’ lengths instead of actual lengths needed would probably pay for the threader. Are the dies a standard size? HF doesn’t seem to sell a replacement set and I figure that is what is going to break/wear out.

561 - 580 of 727 Posts