Pirate 4x4 banner

681 - 700 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
That guy is a fuckin' doofus most of the time. He has a few moments of clarity where he is alright, and seems to be able to weld pretty well, but his engineering (or lack thereof) of shit and his overall retardedness make me want to punch babies 90% of the time...
Could not agree more. I watched him try to build a bench grinder using a rear axle and i had to stop because it was giving me cancer. His engineering skills is right on par with any farmer repair i have ever seen, Full of over kill and gallons of stupid paint schemes. The worst part is all the suckers who soak up all his shit and thank him for teaching them:homer:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Could not agree more. I watched him try to build a bench grinder using a rear axle and i had to stop because it was giving me cancer. His engineering skills is right on par with any farmer repair i have ever seen, Full of over kill and gallons of stupid paint schemes. The worst part is all the suckers who soak up all his shit and thank him for teaching them:homer:
My favorite one is where he put a winch plate on his gooseneck trailer....I was literally laughing out loud!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
To add the ok list......adjustable angle framing nailer.....1st one lasted like 20 min, the 2nd one lasted for hours and was still working when project was finished....so kinda lose/win...

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Didn't go through the entire thread but the 12" Disk Sander is pretty slick too.
12" Benchtop Disc Sander
The one I got is Green within the last few months... They only sell one grade abrasive for it though. Not that their abrasives are worth a crap anyway...
I just picked up one of the 12" disc sanders a few weeks back as well. So far its been working very well to round corners of brackets, clean up notched tube etc...

The tray is kind of cheap, but the motor is strong and the disc runs true. Overall well worth the $150 price tag. The one issue I did have right away is the "dust collector" is made of plastic and promptly caught on fire when grinding metal for a few minutes. I just unscrewed it and threw it away, it was not making that much difference in the mess anyways since I did not have it connected to a vacuum system.

They don't have a tool stand that fits it out of the box. I bought their large tools stand, cut some MDF to fit on top of it (also acts as a brace to tighten things up) and bolted it to that with the rubber feet acting as an isolator.
Picked up one of these last weekend with the 20% off coupon. Comes with 2 extra abrasive pads. I like that they incorporated a dust collection outlet for shop vacs and put a large enough motor on it to really use it with steel. Had a full length piece of 1/4" on it, pressing down hard, and roughed off .120" of material in a few minutes on a 30" long piece. Only bogged it down a couple times of really heavy loading, more than I would normally. Overall well worth the price tag.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Picked up one of these last weekend with the 20% off coupon. Comes with 2 extra abrasive pads. I like that they incorporated a dust collection outlet for shop vacs and put a large enough motor on it to really use it with steel. Had a full length piece of 1/4" on it, pressing down hard, and roughed off .120" of material in a few minutes on a 30" long piece. Only bogged it down a couple times of really heavy loading, more than I would normally. Overall well worth the price tag.
Get some Zirconia sanding disks for it in a nice coarse grit like 40 or 50. It will hog metal off nicely and the disk will last a hell of a lot longer than an aluminum oxide disk.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Get some Zirconia sanding disks for it in a nice coarse grit like 40 or 50. It will hog metal off nicely and the disk will last a hell of a lot longer than an aluminum oxide disk.
Looking for them now, thanks! I don't take large amounts of material off usually so I might go with a finer grit like 120. I use my plasma table for most parts and just want this for edges, radii, finishes, and doing longer planar sanding.

Is there a quick-swap method for the discs? Seems like peel and stick and it's there until it's done.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Looking for them now, thanks! I don't take large amounts of material off usually so I might go with a finer grit like 120. I use my plasma table for most parts and just want this for edges, radii, finishes, and doing longer planar sanding.

Is there a quick-swap method for the discs? Seems like peel and stick and it's there until it's done.
I've only swapped out the first aluminum oxide disc for the zirconia one once, and it's still going. Might not be quite as good as it was when I put it on there, but it is still eating away at metal. So no I don't know of any good disc swapping tips. I just peeled the old one off, used a razor blade and carb cleaner to get the disc clean so there wouldn't be lumps and then put the new one on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanding-Disc-Zirconia-Alumina-3pk-24-80-120-grit-12-inch-Sticky-Back-PSA-Cloth/163345638328?hash=item260828a3b8:rk:1:pf:0

There's a 3 pack of different grits. you might be surprised and like the coarser grit discs... Try one. Still leaves a nice smooth finish, just takes less time to eat it away.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
I've only swapped out the first aluminum oxide disc for the zirconia one once, and it's still going. Might not be quite as good as it was when I put it on there, but it is still eating away at metal. So no I don't know of any good disc swapping tips. I just peeled the old one off, used a razor blade and carb cleaner to get the disc clean so there wouldn't be lumps and then put the new one on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanding-Disc-Zirconia-Alumina-3pk-24-80-120-grit-12-inch-Sticky-Back-PSA-Cloth/163345638328?hash=item260828a3b8:rk:1:pf:0

There's a 3 pack of different grits. you might be surprised and like the coarser grit discs... Try one. Still leaves a nice smooth finish, just takes less time to eat it away.
Good idea. Ordered. Thanks! I'll report back with results. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
The first one I did was a nightmare. Tried everything. The second one, I peeled back the top edge, squirted some 90% isopropanol alcohol into the crease and slowly pulled. Worked way better.

I do love this disc sander, use it mostly for wood though.

-Riles

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Picked one up last week and used it to clean up some plasma cut steel. 22 3/8” thick pieces took some time. Ended up melting the plastic cover at bottom for dust collection due to a build up of sparks. I even had it connected to a shop vac to keep dust down in garage.

Still worth it for me, just have to make a metal guard now.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Picked one up last week and used it to clean up some plasma cut steel. 22 3/8” thick pieces took some time. Ended up melting the plastic cover at bottom for dust collection due to a build up of sparks. I even had it connected to a shop vac to keep dust down in garage.

Still worth it for me, just have to make a metal guard now.
Yeah that plastic cover doesn't last long sanding steel! I just use mine outside and blow it all off with the air hose when I'm done.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I just bought the Bauer corded 1/2" impact. Rated at 1050 lbs

I pulled off the crank bolt on a VW Jetta like it was hand tightened (really amazed at how easy it came off)

So far very happy with it, time will tell.

I paid $119 for it

I'll post back at a later time after using it more.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had been using this cheap 3" extended reach cut off tool because I liked the orientation of the grinding wheel. I didn't use it as a cut-off tool since it was really lacking in power, but rather to grind out tacks or weld beads where I couldn't fit a 4½" grinder.

Then I saw this one last month, seemingly a copy of the Aircat 4" cut off tool:

Pros:
  • very beefy construction, as you can tell it's not made by the "typical" Harbor freight tool manufacturers. It's heavy and solidly built, a virtual copy of the Air Cat version, including the nice trigger lock switch and push-button wheel-lock for disc changes.
  • Price is very reasonable with a 20% coupon @ $119.99 before taxes.
  • It runs very smooth, with no discernible vibration that would leave your fingers/hand numb.
  • includes a sound "muffler" integrated into the rear-venting exhaust that not only quiets it down just a smidge, but most importantly drowns out the high-pitched noise that most other smaller air tools exhibit.
  • you can even mount a 1/8" thickness grinding disc instead of the usual 1/16" and smaller cut-off wheels, to use as a light-duty grinder, as I am using.
  • It has good power for smaller cut-off/grinding jobs and does not stall out like the whimpy $40, 3" cut off tool. I would compare the power to a 4½" air grinder of similar price/size, approx 0.7-0.9HP, but of course you need the air flow to back it up. No smaller than 3/8" hose for this, or any other air grinder.
  • the wheel guard has built-in position detents, so you can quickly loosen and set it at common locations based on varying angles/usage orientation
Cons:
  • it only accepts 3/8" arbor discs, so you have to make sure you can easily find the discs you need with that arbor hole size, since you can't use your typical 7/8" nor 5/8" arbor-hole discs
  • as with all air tools (not just harbor freight tools), the average air consumption listed is misleading. Aint no 4CFM gonna power this thing. It needs a good 15+ CFM coming out of a 80 gallon compressor, as with any reasonably sized air grinder.
  • Not really a "con" but it's not super-mega-powerful to really hog out/cut thick material, but it is decently powerful if you have the airflow behind it.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I picked up the smaller welder cart with drawers. I haven't really used it yet, but I got it set up and really like it so far. Fits the Miller 211 well, it's the perfect length and about 3" wider.

I like the idea of having more than just the welder and bottle on a cart. I also added thier magnetic power strip to the back. I will probably add something to hang grinders and hammers on at some point.

Also I'm pretty happy with the blue handled (Quinn) plyers and cutters.

Funny someone got the corded impact. I was looking at it and the numbers were pretty impressive. Iirc my Milwaukee 1/2" cordless was 1100 and the harbor freight 120v is 1050. Not bad.

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
I picked up the smaller welder cart with drawers. I haven't really used it yet, but I got it set up and really like it so far. Fits the Miller 211 well, it's the perfect length and about 3" wider.

I like the idea of having more than just the welder and bottle on a cart. I also added thier magnetic power strip to the back. I will probably add something to hang grinders and hammers on at some point.

Also I'm pretty happy with the blue handled (Quinn) plyers and cutters.

Funny someone got the corded impact. I was looking at it and the numbers were pretty impressive. Iirc my Milwaukee 1/2" cordless was 1100 and the harbor freight 120v is 1050. Not bad.

You can't find another welding cart as nice for anywhere near the money. I've been tempted to get the BIG cart so I can throw both welders and my little plasma on it. You can get the big one down to about $250 with the 20% vulcan coupon. The little one has been as low as $130 with a coupon.

681 - 700 of 727 Posts