Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody use the harbor freight universal winch plate on there tj's with sway bar? if so any pics of what to modify. thanks.. if this is to newb let me know and will post elsewhere. but thanks anyway..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Deffinatly worth the cheap price. I used it on a YJ so no sway bar issues. Even on the YJ there was a lot of drilling and cutting. Damn thing isnt ment for a jeep or a standard winch. But with about 30-60 min of work it will fit anything.

Not the best pic but right after install
Winch mount 01b.JPG

almost final product.
Winch gaurd 6 b.jpg

Edit.... TJ sway bar wil ltake a bit more work. Bolt pattern fits standard winches but flare lead holes are off (ment to fit HF flarelead)

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
I have one of those universal winch plates sitting in my garage. I understand that this plate will fit the YJ and CJs with modifications. However, I am not sure it will fit a TJ even with lots of modifications. The TJ plate is totally different (see pic below).

A few years ago, I ordered a TJ winch plate thru Harbor Freight (not in stores), it fit like a glove. Unfortunately, you can no longer find it listed on HF Web site so I doubt it is an option.
**EDIT** The winch plate shown below was item number 3444, HF Web site list item as unavailble or discntinued.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have that same plate. My plan has been to install the Currie Anti-Rock sway bar kit. That will eliminate the factory bar and then I will modify the universal plate to fit----move it back as far as possible, shorten it, drill the holes I need (I plan to mount it using both the top factory bumper bolts and the factory sway bar bolts - 8 bolts on total), fill the holes I don't need, maybe add a couple of safety chain mounts for flat towing, and then paint it to match the bumper I made. Should be fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts