Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, I used one to make my exo out of 1.5" .120 and it worked fine. You can't make tight bends or it will kink the pipe. But it does bend it "ok"....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've used one before with limited sucess. It's definitely and armstrong tool though. Pack the tube with sand and plug the ends to do tight bends.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Using a pipe bender on tubing will seriously weaken the steel in the bends, having seen roll cages sonic tested for thickness, .120 wall can be stretched to as thin as .100. the "crush" effect also disrupts the strength of the tubing. All tuibing benders are a mandrel type that maintains the shape of the tubing. I use a Hossfeild hydrolic bender, I had a JD squared, too much work.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by zags:
<STRONG>Using a pipe bender on tubing will seriously weaken the steel in the bends, having seen roll cages sonic tested for thickness, .120 wall can be stretched to as thin as .100. the "crush" effect also disrupts the strength of the tubing. All tuibing benders are a mandrel type that maintains the shape of the tubing. I use a Hossfeild hydrolic bender, I had a JD squared, too much work.</STRONG>
What was the damage $$$ on your hossfield bender?

·
Vendor
720 Posts
my Hossfeld with homemade hydraulics and tubing dies from 1/2" to 2" cost me about $3000 expect to pay twice that for a new one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Harborfreight benders suck I have one. Now I have a JD2 and it works great definately worth the price. So it takes a little arm work I use a 3 foot breaker bar and can bend .120 wall easier than the pipe bender.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts