Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, I used one to make my exo out of 1.5" .120 and it worked fine. You can't make tight bends or it will kink the pipe. But it does bend it "ok"....

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Using a pipe bender on tubing will seriously weaken the steel in the bends, having seen roll cages sonic tested for thickness, .120 wall can be stretched to as thin as .100. the "crush" effect also disrupts the strength of the tubing. All tuibing benders are a mandrel type that maintains the shape of the tubing. I use a Hossfeild hydrolic bender, I had a JD squared, too much work.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by zags:
<STRONG>Using a pipe bender on tubing will seriously weaken the steel in the bends, having seen roll cages sonic tested for thickness, .120 wall can be stretched to as thin as .100. the "crush" effect also disrupts the strength of the tubing. All tuibing benders are a mandrel type that maintains the shape of the tubing. I use a Hossfeild hydrolic bender, I had a JD squared, too much work.</STRONG>
What was the damage $$$ on your hossfield bender?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.