21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They are the "cool" thing to have.

I started buying them up when I realized the trend and recently sold 12 to a local guy for $4200. Hes slowld making almost double listing them on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Orange-502-Fiberglass-Bullard-Hard-Hat/184054265233?epid=1624609845&hash=item2ada7d3591:g:mmoAAOSwSK9d3MOw
Are you a rodbuster? Or some other flavor of ironworker? I've never seen any of the rodbusters I worked with wear anything but the full brim carbon helmets.

·
Registered
10,595 Posts

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
They are the "cool" thing to have.

I started buying them up when I realized the trend and recently sold 12 to a local guy for $4200. Hes slowld making almost double listing them on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Orange-502-Fiberglass-Bullard-Hard-Hat/184054265233?epid=1624609845&hash=item2ada7d3591:g:mmoAAOSwSK9d3MOw
Damn, and here I thought painters were the dumbest trade on the jobsite:laughing:

Followed by the carpenter I had a conversation with yesterday who was trying to figure out where to put a wall in a basement. Carpenter - "It says 75" on the plan" Me - "yes plus or minus 12" Carpenter - " but there's only space here at 65 inches" His boss - "put the fucking wall right there then" Carpenter "blank look on his face like he still didn't understand" His boss - " do you not understand subtraction, aren't you a fucking journeyman" Me - "walking away shaking my head"

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Are you a rodbuster? Or some other flavor of ironworker? I've never seen any of the rodbusters I worked with wear anything but the full brim carbon helmets.

Everything but rodbuster. I've worked for a "miscellaneous" company for 18 years and we do anything people will pay us for from light structual (2-3 storys buildings and small bridges) to ornamental and non ferrous. Most of our stuff is burried in walls though. Lots of mechanical support, tenant improvements stuff, larder door frames, cmu wall supports, some stairs and ships ladders, accasional mounting of medical equiptment and machinery, elevator support steel, ect

·
Registered
263 Posts
We just got the new Klein tools hardhats. Super comfortable but a little heavier than some others. I agree that full brim is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not a fan of the hard hat... But the job pays and it pays well.

Sooooo if I gotta wear one I need it to be comfortable and stylish:flipoff2:

Seriously though. They give me a headache and I think they are useless. I bump my head all the time when its on.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
Full brim or go home.
Yup. Cause rain down yup neck and back sucks ass.

Its seriosly not about the hat and is way more about the suspension, pads and adjusters.

Mine a basic hard full brim plastic that i litteraly found on the side of the road. A nice fuzzy ot learthe forhead pad. Adjustble straping, and turn dial adjuster and i have no reason to buy anything else

·
Soulless ginger
886 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
MSA Skullgard with optional low ride suspension (MSA 10126693 Replacement Ratchet , Large). Super comfortable and optional suspension keeps you from having a hard hat that sits too high on your head and makes you look like a dork.

Have the same hard hat with a cap lamp bracket on it. I'll have to look on Monday and see which suspension it has. Works fine till my fro starts growing in, the first time it falls off in the mud it's usually time for a haircut.

In underground mining most true miners have full brims, mechanics have normal brims,and coal miners have the goofy stubby little brim hard hats. I'm not a true miner but spend enough time dealing with water pissing all over the place and washing equipment the full brim is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Any of you fags use chin straps? I can't seem to to keep a hat on when wrenching but I also have the super high riding homer suspension.
Are there legal lowriding suspensions that are worth the dough?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts