Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the past 2 weeks now my truck has had a difficult time starting, especially if I let it sit for more than a day. By the way, its a 1990 4runner V6. I have to crank it a good 9-10 times before it starts and when it does it idles normal but once I step on the gas to rev it up, its like it wants to die out so I let it go and idle is fine. The RPMs drop to the point where the truck has to fight to stay running. Along with this, when I press the brake pedal down the RPM's surge from about 500 to 1300 rpm and when I release it idles fine. Once the engine warms up for about a good 2-3 minutes the truck runs fine. No problems while driving. The battery charge is good, i just changed out the O2 sensor and Cat. I'm thinking the fuel pump is going but I just replaced it like a year ago along with the fuel filter. Could it be the timing? Like I said, once it warms up, no more problems while driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Sounds like a couple of problems. Hard starting I would look into the cold start injector and the temp. sensors and valves associated with it. For the brake-idle surge, check your TPS:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
and also, the idle speed may be too high, when its over about 1000-1100, the ECU will cut fuel to the injectors when you hit the brakes then when the RPMs drop below that level, fuel is restored and the idle speed rises. Cycle repeats until you release the brakes or the idle stays below the high level.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts