Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and picked up a 86 p/u that my Dad bought yesterday and you can get into 4 lo with a little trouble but it won't come out with out a fight. Guy he bought it from said it had just had a clutch put in. Haven't gotten under it yet, but could it be the linkage? or is there possibly some other common problem? TIA

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
is that with the hubs locked in?could be a diff.ratio in the 3rd's.is the tires the same size?could be out of gearoil too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 87 used to do that. I'd get it into 4lo, but shifting out of it would take a bit of force. From what I've hard it's normal with a part time 4WD system.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Two separate issues with the t-case. First the gears are non-synchromesh, you pretty much need to be at a stop to shift between 4H and 4L unless you are good at double-clutching and rev-matching. The second issue is that it is a part-time 4WD system. So if you are in 4WD (front hubs locked) and you are on a high traction surface, then the drivetrain will bind up if the tires can't slip easily, and shifting out of 4H can be hard. If doing this test on pavement, then that is really not the best idea or a fair test. Either leave the front hubs unlocked (if manual) or do the test in some dirt or on a gravel road.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Is the clutch adjusted correctly? It could be that it has not been in 4 lo very often so it is just a little stiff.

·
Registered
410 Posts
4CrawlR has it right. Usually when I have the problem of it binding up in 4 low, I just rock the truck back and forth in 1st and reverse and it'll usually come out easily after that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah i find if i put it in reverse for about 5 feet it will pop right out, my problem isnt actually that it wont come out its that it wont go into 2wd.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, been out of town all weekend so haven't had a chance to mess with it. First time I tried it itwas on concrete, 2nd time was on dirt, 2nd time was a little easier so maybe it's just a use it some more type issue. The guy Dad got it from was an old guy who never used the 4lo so maybe it needs some play time!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The FSM specifies that you back up 3 meters before shifting from 4H to 2H. Also you should be moving at less than 5mph before trying to go in or out of 4L. I usually have to be stopped, and back up a little before I can get the thing shifted, but I don't actually wheel all that often. Mostly when it rains (about 3.25"/year. NOT often! :D ) and my access road turns to the most slippery mud you have ever seen in your LIFE! About the consistancy of greased snot on ice. :laughing: I put it 4L and let it idle on down the road till I get back to the pavement, pulll out, back up, and then go straight to 2WD. Usually takes me 30 min to go about 3/8 mile. Slow huh? Of course, having a 15 foot drop into a waterfilled canal on one side and a 15 foot drop into a field on the other make for a very cautious driver! :eek:
Good luck, and get out there and loosen it up a bit before worrying. I would change the oils in the trans, t-case and diffs too, and make sure u use the right weight for your conditions. Very important! Also, make sure all the zerts in the drive train are well lubed. Nothing worse than a binding u joint or cv joint to mess up your day. :)

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
DavidW said:
First time I tried it itwas on concrete, 2nd time was on dirt, 2nd time was a little easier so maybe it's just a use it some more type issue.
Not a "use it some more" thing, it is a "use it on a high traction surface like pavement" and it is hard to shift due to drivetrain binding. Use it on a low traction surface like dirt and the drivetrain does not bind up as much and it is easier to shift. No mystery there, it is the way it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts