Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Heres what i got and what i am trying to do.

I got a Garmin GPS V that uses a cigaretter lighter for power when in the rig.

I got the entire dash apart right now and want to hard wire the GPS into the power of the battery and avoid the cigarette plug. Is there any easy way to do this?

The cords are $25 a pop so i am a little hesitant chopping it and trying it by trial and error.

I want to run the wires behind the dash and to the top of the dash while its a apart.

Any ideas? The GPS got a funky plug, so i gotta use this cord

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Travis Waldher said:
Its easy... just cut off the cigarette "plug" and wire it to the battery. Should only be two wires at the cigarette plug, + and -
Thats what i was wondering. If there are only 2 in there i am in luck, but the plug (GPS end) has 4 prongs, so i assumed 4 wires.

I think last time i ripped one apart (for my CB)i saw three.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Since the GPS only uses 4 AA batteries, it wants 6 volts. Is the input to the GPS 12 volts? if not the cord probably has a converter in it.

unscrew the cig lighter part and you might find a small circuit in there. That would be the converter.

you might want to keep the cord intact and wire in a female cig lighter and stuff the whole thing under the dash.

That way if you want to use the GPS in another vehcle it is still portable.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
Mangler, Garmin already has the cable for what you want, and it's fused. Boater's World had one on the shelf.

The 4 pin port has 12V pos, 12v, and 2 more for serial communications (to talk to a external computer.)

I kept my lighter cable around for temporarily moving my GPS V into another vehicle, and scored one of the sandbag mounts too. The mount won't do for 'wheeling, but it works pretty darned well on the street.

BTW, if you have any idea that you may want to move that mount, do NOT stick it down with the permanent adhesive disk. Even the "removable" one could darned near hoist my XJ.

ChiXJeff

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys

i figured out the solution to my dilemna.

Thanks to ChixJeff i found out that Garmin now sells a cable just for this thing.

I just went and pickeed one up

Info = Garmin Power Data Cable Part # 010-10082-00

Should be a piece of cake

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
CB Info-

The CB had 3 wires because

1 wire= -
1 wire= +
1 wire= acc wire. (An ACC wire is a wire that is powered when the ignition is turned on.)

When I wired my CB I connected the ACC and the + (on cb) so the ACC & + on the CB connected to the vehicles + on the vehicle.
This let me run the CB when the vehicle is off...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Dan-H said:
Since the GPS only uses 4 AA batteries, it wants 6 volts. Is the input to the GPS 12 volts? if not the cord probably has a converter in it.
My GPS III can run off 5-32V (apparently it has an internal voltage regulator) The GPS V probably has one too. Check the manual if you have one. That's where I found the spec for mine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ChiXJeff said:
Mangler, Garmin already has the cable for what you want, and it's fused. Boater's World had one on the shelf.

The 4 pin port has 12V pos, 12v, and 2 more for serial communications (to talk to a external computer.)

I kept my lighter cable around for temporarily moving my GPS V into another vehicle, and scored one of the sandbag mounts too. The mount won't do for 'wheeling, but it works pretty darned well on the street.

BTW, if you have any idea that you may want to move that mount, do NOT stick it down with the permanent adhesive disk. Even the "removable" one could darned near hoist my XJ.

ChiXJeff
Your right I didn't read about the extra two wires for the serial com. Then 12V pos, and 12v ....but no ground? I guess boats don't need ground because they are used primarily on water :D

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
Boggerdust said:

Your right I didn't read about the extra two wires for the serial com. Then 12V pos, and 12v ....but no ground? I guess boats don't need ground because they are used primarily on water :D
<sigh> Okay, simple lesson in electricity. All it needs is a conductive loop.

There's 2 wires in the cable for power, 12V positive and 12V negative. Automotive systems are generally 12V negative ground. Fuses go in the positive side. The red wire carries the fuse in this cable, so that's the 12V positive feed. Black is generally negative.

The last 2 wires (white and brown) are for RS232 serial data communications. As this is a bi-directional cable, I'd expect one more wire for a dedicated ground, but apparently it works.

Note that while I've got this wired up in my XJ, I haven't tried connecting a PC up through it. The white and brown wires are just ziptied up under the dash.

ChiXJeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.