Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Did you run mason jar? I took my 05 through last spring...beats the snot outa railbed.

Well there are several nice harder trails in Harlan, they all seem to be rather short. I personally would like to see some of them lengthened quite a bit. It always seems you end the trail and there is a sweet looking line continuing up right at the exit that's overgrown.
It was too wet for Mason Jar. Maybe next time if it is dry, everything at the park was 10 times harder than I remember it being 3 years ago. Lower rock garden was really washed out as well as Mason Jar.

We ran Pinball-Railbed-Lower garden-Killing Time-Grapevine-Middle rock garden-Can opener. The next day we went to mason jar and decided not to run it, really wet on that side of the mountain, then windmill trail over to Lions Den to watch the buggies play, then back to lower rock garden-Intimidator trail.

I lost a rear wheel cylinder on Intimidator and lost all my brakes near the top. That was a fun ride back down :shaking:

·
Registered
258 Posts
this may have already been covered, but, are there any plans to cut in some moderate trails for those of us that aren't running 42s and buggies? something along the lines of what killin time was about a year ago?

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
this may have already been covered, but, are there any plans to cut in some moderate trails for those of us that aren't running 42s and buggies? something along the lines of what killin time was about a year ago?
Killin Time has gotten pretty darn fun :smokin:

Have you ran White Tail?

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
White tail is closed from what I saw last time down there.
There is a trail that drops down from the main gravel road up to the lookout. Its right before the exit of White Tail where they have been digging up that giant hunk of metal. I've ran white tail everytime I go there. The drop down trail is probably 300 ft or so before you get to the white tail exit. Just a steep downhill and you then crawl out the rock garden area

edit:
This is from Fall Crawl

I circled the best i could where the drop down is. This is the end of the trail where you crawl out. Just look for the big yellow thing seen in this picture. It's been in the same spot all 3 times I have ran the trail

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, you can get down in there where you took that pic, but the Whitetail trail, that comes off the main trail had a sign marking it as closed. That trail would end up down behind where the truck is in the picture.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We were just there this weekend and ran White Tail. There was no closed sign that I saw around it. Here's the view from the bottom.

We never got back over to Mason Jar but rode most everything else I wanted to hit. Ran Lion's Den in the dark after it rained until 2 in the afternoon on Friday. That was a little more interesting than the last time I went through.

I also got to test my new (to me) stickies out. I figured Pony Hill was a good test. I did the same climb the day before with a lot more water flowing down the trail but didn't get any pics so we went back by the next day and tried again. Maybe next time I'll get my heart right and drive all the way up.

Jeep crawling Pony Hill. Harlan KY - YouTube

·
KY Mtn Crawler
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
its is very hard to cut moderate trails here. either hards trails gets easy .. or easy trails become moderate with use. if you have any ideas please let me know. Also I have a cool rock garden in copperhead camp ground. if you want that open set up a group with me and lets open it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ronnie, I agree with what you are saying, I havent been down since september, so I cant say for sure, but ill look around when im down next month and see if anything catches my eye. Im game for open8ng any new rock gardens, they are always fun. Are you gonna be around dur8ng southern shine? Maybe we can meet up and try to figure something out. Would be nice to see you again, its been a while.

Josh, I have not run whitetail, its had that closed sign on it the past few times ive been down and over by it.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
If you drop down the place that Shoope and I were talking about, you can still run the rock garden climb out. It'd be a great trail for the Xgay

also, railbed, fish fossil, and middle rock garden are all pretty gnarly now. Or at least they were. Good technical trails that you could run and not really worry about body damage. Now Killin time... That one was getting to the point you may start to get some dents and tree drag marks. Not sure how it is now, but I can see it not getting any easier

·
Registered
728 Posts
My picture above was taken about 100 yards down the hill from the Explorer pic. It was all open when I was there last weekend.

81 - 100 of 362 Posts