Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the weekend we are going all of the cabins in the Evarts side are booked (figures). My question is how is the camping on the Putney side? I have heard bad things so lookin for actual experience....
Couple of questions:

-How far from the Putney camp ground is it to the Evarts Dairy Hut or Lower rock garden??

-How accessible is it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help but there are no cabins available in Evarts that was why I was asking.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help Kirby, we now have two houses. I think this will suit our needs much better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
we rented the new cabin on the putney side and it was pretty nice. its only about 20 mins or so to cut through to the other side.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have camped on the Putny side the last 2 times out there, The campsites are pretty basic and the cabins are nice according to friends that stayed in them. It does not take to long to drive to the other side

·
Registered
335 Posts
Last time we went we camped at Putney up the hill at one of the sites. Very nice and secluded. 20-30 Minutes to the rock garden on the other side of the mountain max. I would not hesitate to camp there again.

Have also stayed in a house in Evarts, "Po' Boy" or something like that rented it. I was very dissapointed. Too expensive for what you get, house was nasty and only had 1 bathroom, compared to the 3 it said it had in the add. I guess its hit and miss when you rent houses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My question is how is the camping on the Putney side? I have heard bad things so lookin for actual experience....

-How accessible is it?
Please elaborate to what things you have heard so I can address them, I'm the owner of the campground/cabins at Putney.

As for accessibility you can't get more accessible than our place. 3.5 acres of level parking, parking at each cabin for your tow rigs and vehicles. Parking at each campsite up in the woods all accessible with tow rigs also.

As for our cabins they are all within 5 years old and are kept very clean. Our large and small cabins sleep between 5-9 people (pending on their size) and each has a kitchenette that includes a mini-fridge, microwave, hot plate, and coffee maker. Their bathrooms consists of a toilet sink and shower as well as each cabin has a tv with dvd/satelite tv. Here's some pics...

We also have two rental houses that are right on sight, the differences between them and the cabins would be the full fridge, range, and full kitchen table/chairs in the kitchen. As well as a bathtub instead of a stand up shower. Our newest one has 3 bedrooms and includes 3 full size beds (1 is sofa sleeper), 1 queen bed, and two twin beds as well as a LCD tv in the living room. These rent for $150 per nite flat rate.

In addition to this we have tons of parking and RV sites that are accessible on a level with over 3.5 acres of room. (Each site is 20x50) and that doesn't include the 70+ primitive sites we have in the mountains. RV and tent folks also have access to our bathroom/shower facility and hopefully this year we'll get our second shower facility built that will consist of 8 individual bathrooms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is great info on the camp site. My question is how far is it to the trailhead? Also, do you have to drive on a state hwy? Any more problems with tickets from police?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If/when I go to Harlan again, this is where I will stay. We tried to get a cabin here and missed out on the last one by 10 min. I can only speak of its location since we didn't actually stay there. The only complaint any of us would have is that it's a fairly long ride ride up the mountain through the switchbacks till you get anywhere. A big positive is that you're on the mountain w/o touching any policed roadways. There was talk of some police harassment in Evarts on the way to the trail head, however, I didn't see anything actually occur. This was alcohol related, not concerning street legal issues. Again, it was my first time so I'm clearly not a great source, just passing along my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is great info on the camp site. My question is how far is it to the trailhead? Also, do you have to drive on a state hwy? Any more problems with tickets from police?
The campground IS the trailhead, literally the trail runs through the campground - so there is no highways or black top riding from your cabins/camping areas to the trails. The distance from the cabins/campground to the top of the mountain is 1.5 miles, there are 3-4 switchbacks total pending which route you take into the park. From Putney to the Evarts Trailhead is a tad over 3 miles total via trail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL...WOW, Im nationwide ! Thats me in the red rain suit on the deck ! I had to register to brag a little :smokin:

John and his son Steven (the owners of the putney trailhead campsite) are top notch fellas, Ive camped there quite a few times and have NEVER had any issues.

The first time I showed up to putney, I was sleeping in my truck and it was cold. John offered to let me park next to his office and use his heater via extension cord to keep me warm that night while I slept. One heck of a nice guy ! Since then, Ive made it a point to not camp anywhere else but there. I now always get a cabin when I go (usually alone) and he has cut me good rates for only using a single bed.

John (or steven, whoever is posting here), Im glad to hear from you guys again. Its been a few months since Ive been (totalled my Teryx) but Ill be back for sure ! Next time the wife and kids will be with me....thanks for the great times and the country hospitality.

He also is the preacher at the church wich is right next door, and never fails to offer a kind welcome if I ever feel like showing up on Sunday. Ill take him up on that one of these days.......Im usually beat to death, hung over and ready to get back home by the time Sunday rolls around.

Ive always been there on ATV's and UTV's but Ive hit all the trails.....mason jar still makes my ass pucker coming down on a ATV. Id recommend Putney and Black mountain to anyone looking for nice trails and company.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Putney cabins are great have stayed there several times,Trailhead is at your front door...LOL.
There is alot on evarts side to rent but subject to road stops and have to ride to trailhead on main rd.
Advice: There is a couple houses side x side around the chevron on main rd that the sheriff deputy rents and believe you me he patrols it regular. Its too close to other residents and they call quick for so much as talking on porch at night. Also bad to get gooseneck into.
Stayed in several others in with better results on Evarts side.

You could always stay in Mountain aire hotel...:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Putney cabins are great have stayed there several times,Trailhead is at your front door...LOL.
There is alot on evarts side to rent but subject to road stops and have to ride to trailhead on main rd.
Advice: There is a couple houses side x side around the chevron on main rd that the sheriff deputy rents and believe you me he patrols it regular. Its too close to other residents and they call quick for so much as talking on porch at night. Also bad to get gooseneck into.
Stayed in several others in with better results on Evarts side.

You could always stay in Mountain aire hotel...:D

This the place your talkin about?

http://lomalindarentals.googlepages.com/

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We just happen to be staying there. Guess were gonna piss a lotta neighbors off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts