Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a buddy with his FJ40 project got me thinking about safety features; he just installed a good set of harnesses and I was wondering if anyone here runs them on a wagon? Where would they be mounted? Something tell me that mounting them to the floor of the truck behind the front seats may not be the best idea, but I can't figure out any other way, except maybe draped around the seats?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What about installing a piece of tubing midway up the B pillar? Say just below window level. Bolt it to the B pillars and strap your harnesses to that. The rear of the front seats, ooops forgot about your NON USA seats, has a droop in it and the bar could probably fit behind there. I read somewhere that they are supposed to be installed about 4" below the top of the seat back. That could be wrong info though.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Nascar specs say that you want to anchor them at about should blade level to avoid spinal column compression, so Erik V's idea is about right, and is in essence what I did on the fj40 cage...TPI sells some nice "regular guy" grade harnesses that have regular seatbelt catches on the lap runners. I chose those casue they're seaier to wsork for me than all the real "nascar" belts...Alan

·
Registered
410 Posts
When someone comes up with a good design for an in-cab cage for the 60 series, then you could just hook it up to that. Better get Jason Kenne to start thinkin' about how he'd do it! :D

Trust me, I've thought about it too: Especially since I want to put a sub-floor in the rear of my truck, I need something strong to mount it to, but the 60 has NO factory mounting points, which really bites.

My idea was to do a mini-cage back there, tied through to the frame, so I can also install a cargo-sheild! Has anyone put a hoop in the back of a 60? Got pics? :D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In-cab cage on a 60 series doesn't work if you keep the doors and OEM dash, there just isn't much room in there. Sans doors it's not too bad.

60 series cages are common in Venezuela, it's basically a six-point cage that starts right behind the driver and passenger seat and goes back to the cargo area. I've seen some pretty trick ones with built in cargo-nets and trays for vulnerable electronics...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts