Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we use the guard we just bend it all to hell (and rip the boot). When we dont use the gaurd we RIP THE BOOT, either way we loose. Has any body tried to address this??????
Mayby one built out of 3/16" and is same shape as the old one but is held by the upper and lower knuckle bolts????
Seems like every time I see someone with rockwels their tires are covered in gear oil.
Any help???
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ROCKS

Daniel said:
they hava a onepiece boot that is pretty tough [/B]
I called you about 6 mo. ago and asked you about some one piece boots, because the zippers just plain suck. And you said sorry, you will have to live with the zippers.
Cool so we have a source for some good boots, I would rather buy them from you? But I doubt they are rock proof, I think we still will need a guard. I understand the whole seal thing but what comes out is the watery mix from the wheel bearings once the boots are torn and the deep water gets in.
I will work on this issue.
Thanks Daniel,
Daniel

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If you've got U-joint style-shafts, you don't really need a boot at all, right??

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elf_cruiser said:
If you've got U-joint style-shafts, you don't really need a boot at all, right??
Yes, I do have u-joint style axles. But if the boot rips the water will follow the stub into the splindle,
back to the wheel bearings.
Unless I am missing something?? I dont remember a spindle seal like a 60 has.
Dan

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
there's no inner spindle seal, but there is a grease seal that goes on infront of the outer wheel bearing. I'm sure if you left it submerged, water could get into the hub, but for short trips through mud/water, i think it would be fine.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
there's no inner spindle seal, but there is a grease seal that goes on infront of the outer wheel bearing. I'm sure if you left it submerged, water could get into the hub, but for short trips through mud/water, i think it would be fine.
where is this seal at ?the inner wheel bearing this is the only seal i know of. the mud and water come threw the tore boot then threw the spindle then into the wheel bearings from the outer bearing in.do you understand.:confused:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Daniel said:
Dan dibble: Order a seal kit from chucks trucks too you obviously need one... the boot cover for the birfield is to hold the grease in...for the timken ujoint it is to keep the dust out with a good set of seals the axle should not leak...

frankie you may not have one but there is supposed to be a seal between your inside bearing and your ujoint...

dan is talking about the grees coming out of the hole in the boots we pack them full.the gear dop is clean and is not leaking we have new axle seals on this axle.
is the other seal you speek of between the bronze bearing and the stub shaft?if so non of the axles we have torn down have them.what do you think:confused:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
NO, there should be a grease seal on the outside of the outer bearing, underneatth the 3" hub nuts. If your hub nuts are directly against the outer bearing, then you are missing a grease seal. It is this seal that would somewhat protect the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mine don't have that outer seal either. Could it be that some have them and others don't because of different designs or it just got left out because someone decided it wasn't important?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Not the same seal. The outer seal is flat, and fits underneath the hub nuts. The inner bearing seal is cupped, and presses onto the spindle.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Well, dan, my point is, fawk the guards, and the boots. Just run em open knuckle. Unless you are planning on leaving it submerged in water for hours, i don't think it would be a problem. Which is more of a hassle: repacking the wheel bearings occasionally, or replacing the rubber boot occasionally??

I still have repezza joints, therefore i need the crappy boots to keep all that grease in there. When i switch to U-joint shafts, the boots are gonna go bye-bye. Of course, i live in the desert...

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Elf, Yes I would very much like to dump the boots. I will try these mystery seals tha Daniel recomended. But I have been known to do some diving on occasion. I think some experimentation will be in order.
But if the seals dont hold the water out we know the boots will, (especially the non zippered ones)
In that case I am thinking the same thing as 350Samurai.
Dan

P.S. 350Samurai please keep me informed. As I will do the same.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
sombody show me a padge from a manual on these seals menphis equipment said they show no seal at the outer bearing they supply 2.5 ton parts whats the part #.he may not know about them the guy i deel with was not in.thanks for all your help and i submerge mine for hours on end i need the boots.and the joints have no seal is this correct ?if so how do they keep mud out if you dont use the boots.?and if the boots where not needed then why are they there.?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Thanks daniel, apparently my description was not clear enough.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the guy at menphis equipment said he has seen no outer seal the guy i deal with was not in they sale rockwell parts .so do you have a part number for these seals or how about a parts page from the manual.we submerge our axle's very often we live in a very muddy enviroment also if the boots are not needed why are they there? and my axle joints have no seals at the cups so if we ditch the boots the joints will fail from contamination.so what now :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I don't see why you need that outer wheel bearing seal if you use a gasket/rtv on the driveflanges.

With the U-Joint style axle shafts....is it necessary to pack the knuckle with grease so that the u-joint is riding in grease?

Are the u-joints not sealed and require constant greasing or what...

set me straight.

CJ

1 - 20 of 70 Posts