Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever broken a gear in a Dana 18, 20, or 300 T case. I know people brake shafts, but I never heard of anyone braking a gear. I want to get a 5 to 1 low range but I don't know if the gears can take it.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
tera = broken (seen it a couple of times first hand, herd about it on pbb a million times)

low max = not seen broken yet, and cheaper.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Oops. Dana 18 gear a couple months ago. I've also broke both output shafts (different time) and split a case. Someone used to sell a case girdle for dana 18's, I'd use it if you are swapping in even lower gears.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Broke several gears inside my dana 300 with a stock gear set back in 2002. Replaced those with another stock set and then broke the rear output. Have since upgraded to the LoMax gearset and a 32 spline rear output. But you probable don't run 42's.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
our club accounted for 4 sets of Dana 18 tera gears biting the big one. Thank god nobody runs them anymore. :shaking:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Seen lots of gears on 18's go bad. Mostly stock stuff though with 38" tires.
I have seen a set of Tera gears from a 300 that broke. They were 2 piece gears that sheared the center hub.
One of our club members ended up being air lifted out and spend 6 months recovering from that one.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I've only ripped the teeth off the stock Dana 18 gear from the transmission with Horsepower. Haven't had one bit of problem with my Tera-18's? Of course I'm not running 248 Degrees @.050 with a .550 lift anymore. In the rocks I'm real careful to not let the wheels bind up. I'll back up and try a different line rather than use the stupid pedal. I guess I'm tired of spending the weekend trying to find parts. i also heard there was two generations of Tera gears for the 18 case?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I took out the stock gears on an 18 case with my high hp 225 v6 and 33's :flipoff2:

The tera gear fiasco was the shit's. Pair of Jeeps running little v-6's with 33's breaking them every other trip for the whole year. Got both the old generation and "new" style and still broke them. FYI Tera gave them their money back. :p

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
RCKRATZ said:
I took out the stock gears on an 18 case with my high hp 225 v6 and 33's :flipoff2:

The tera gear fiasco was the shit's. Pair of Jeeps running little v-6's with 33's breaking them every other trip for the whole year. Got both the old generation and "new" style and still broke them. FYI Tera gave them their money back. :p
Yeah! I know what you mean... My sister used to get bound up with her little V-6 and get frustrated too! She'd gas and then there we were working to repair the old Dana-18. There's a reason it's called a stupid pedal. If you got lockers and get bound. What the hell is next down the line.... Duh! Oh, but we can blame it on Tera.... That sound good to me.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've had good luck (so far!!) with my Tera low 4 to 1 in the Dana 300. They are the newer ones if it helps.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Last Dana 300 case I had I busted a few of the stock gears. I had initially bought the tera gears last year to replace them but after hearing all the complaints and everything I was very skeptical of them even with the "new generation". When I was doing my research for 4:1 I had looked at both tera and LOWMax, and at that time LOWMax was around $900 while I could get the tera for $450 shipped. Called tera up but they claimed to not know if they were "the competetion" on the JBconversion website and claimed that they didn't think the gears were two piece. Well when they showed up at my place they were definitely two piece welded together...

Well now I am a proud owner of the LOWMax gears, just need to find the time to get home and install them...

Glad to hear the LOWMax sets are holding up so far though! Woo hoo.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Busted 2 sets of Tera Gears. To their credit, they have replaced the entire set both times, although that does not help when broken in the middle of the trail. The new Tera gears appear much better, but LoMax seems to be the way to go. They just go not make them for my Scout D300.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I busted a tera welded gear. Output in rear 4 low gear. I drove home in high range, sent the gear to tera, and they sent me a new one. It did garf up the output shaft though. I upgraded to 32spline.

I was launching the rig off the ground with a tow strap attatched to a rather large cruiser stuck in the sluice. It took a lot of abuse many times before it launched.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
MrWillys said:
Yeah! I know what you mean... My sister used to get bound up with her little V-6 and get frustrated too! She'd gas and then there we were working to repair the old Dana-18. There's a reason it's called a stupid pedal. If you got lockers and get bound. What the hell is next down the line.... Duh! Oh, but we can blame it on Tera.... That sound good to me.
It was a joke Mr. Willy's :shaking: Both guys that were taking out the Tera's drive like there is an egg on the pedal.

My stock set let go on the freeway :eek:

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Tera gears broke like Kieths; I lost the rear in 4 low on Cadillac. I too tried to drive home on the broken TC. All seemed fine in 2 high when just past Srawberry on Hwy 50 I felt a vibration and as I sent to the side of the road, the rear end locked up. Luckily the case held. AAA towed us all the way to the Bay Area for free using two cards. I lost my rear output also, and upgraded to the AA. I only broke the one gear, but Tera sent me a complete new set. I had the older version that were about 6 years old.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
nord said:
i guess i will go with the lowmax kit or maybe a 5:1 altas. Still don't know
Thats a pretty big $$$ diff holmes. You can upgrade the 300 fully for about $1300, gears, input, output etc. Something to think about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ghettojeep said:
Thats a pretty big $$$ diff holmes. You can upgrade the 300 fully for about $1300, gears, input, output etc. Something to think about.
Other then the price with is better 4:1 or 5:1. that 124:1 or 155:1. if i have to spend the money, I only want to spend it once. if the 4:1 kits are so good then why does everyone buy an atlas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts