Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading my 96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 for a 93 GMC extened cab shortbox with the 4.3 and a 5 speed manual. Will I have any issues towing a 4200# jeep with trailer with this rig until I can afford another truck or engine. This will only be an occasional tow rig at best, as we usually use my friends 30 gooseneck and his truck for towing. Any advice would be appreciated, I would prefer not to get a trailer and load my jeep and test drive, as I am preparing for a fishing trip on friday. Thanks Marc

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had an 88 Chevy 1500 with 4.3 mated to 4spd with granny first (SM465), 4x4. I towed somewhere around 6,000lbs. with it. It was not fast, but it pulled just fine. Only having a 3 speed did not help. The 4.3 is a good motor, and will last a long time. It has good torque, and gets about 20mpg. Its also very easy to work on.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I towed a 3500# boat/trailer with a 4.3 in a s-10 and personally wouldn't want to tow anymore than that with it.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I had an 88 Chevy 1500 with 4.3 mated to 4spd with granny first (SM465), 4x4. I towed somewhere around 6,000lbs. with it. It was not fast, but it pulled just fine. Only having a 3 speed did not help. The 4.3 is a good motor, and will last a long time. It has good torque, and gets about 20mpg. Its also very easy to work on.
The 5 speed behind the 4.3 won't have as deep of a 1st gear as the 465, so getting things moving will be the hard part.
Travis..

·
jack
77 Posts
I towed my cherokee and trailer (about 6000lbs) with my 96 4.3 auto several times. It did fine on flat land, and ok in the hills. I never really tried up in the mountains, but did tow around denver a fair amount so it was not flat. The biggest thing I would look at is whether or not it is a vortec 4.3. If it is not the vortec, then I would not even try. The vortec in my 96 was rated for 215 hp, and 240 tq if I remember correctly, which is pretty close to a tbi 350.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I've towed a 5000+ lb boat with a std cab long bed k1500 5 spd ('97). It was fine. I had to start from a stop sign at the base of a pretty solid 7% grade and was able to pull it in 2nd gear barely. Like others have said, the somewhat shallow 1st gear can make starting from a stop a little tricky in a few instances but nothing that can't be overcome. I'd be comfortable towing the load that you are describing.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
what gears does it have?
I towed my Samurai on a 1400lb trailer with my '98 2wd 5sp (3.08s) and it would do it, but wasn't too happy. had to keep dropping into 3rd around towns and highway was all 4th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts