Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a mean leak on my clutch master cyl. Anyone tried the "repair kits" that are available, apparently, from Toyota? I see them on 1sttoyotaparts.com for like $30 master and slave - much cheaper than buying whole new cylinders.

Any special tools needed? Will the kits fix all common failures?

·
Registered
172 Posts
clutch cylinder kit

I used them two or three times.

Last one I used for a Nissan slave cylinder was 6 $ and never leaked. It came from a store we have here called Canadian Tire.

Never felt the need to buy genuine Toyota for these kits.

No special tools needed, I just removed the old piston and put in the new kit.The last time I didn't even disconnect the hose from the slave cylinder. I just did the job under the truck.

http://web.ncf.ca/ez273
'89 4Runner Bone stock except for weird Hybrid motor

·
Registered
219 Posts
2RowTC4Runner said:
I used them two or three times.

Last one I used for a Nissan slave cylinder was 6 $ and never leaked. It came from a store we have here called Canadian Tire.

Never felt the need to buy genuine Toyota for these kits.

No special tools needed, I just removed the old piston and put in the new kit.The last time I didn't even disconnect the hose from the slave cylinder. I just did the job under the truck.

http://web.ncf.ca/ez273
'89 4Runner Bone stock except for weird Hybrid motor

I rebuilt the clutch master in my 86 and the master in my 87 supra.... I got one kit from napa and the other from advanced... like 15 bucks each

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i think you have to start off with a good core, though. i rebuilt a siezed(read: rusted inside) master cylinder in my '79 truck, and it worked fine until it started leaking a month later. still works ok, but the dripping on the floorboard is irritating.

·
Registered
219 Posts
kyle_22r said:
i think you have to start off with a good core, though. i rebuilt a siezed(read: rusted inside) master cylinder in my '79 truck, and it worked fine until it started leaking a month later. still works ok, but the dripping on the floorboard is irritating.

agreed.... if you have a hone run that through to make sure there are no ridges in the bore that will quickly eat the new seal!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So..what is the kit exactly? Just a couple of o-rings? I've never actually taken clutch hydraulics apart, but I assume its similar to brakes..?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The tolerances are so tight in the clutch hydraulic sytem that it tough to get a good seal when you rebuild it.

I bought a rebuild kit from toyota for both my clutch master & slave. The master started leaking again within a month and I'm not sure how well the slave held up either because I sold the truck shortly afterwards.

The rebuild kit i got included new pistons since the rubber seal is bult right into it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Used one from the dealer, worked great & stopped the wet spot on the floor

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never tried to rebuild one w/o using a hone:eek:

Seems like last time I replaced master and slave 'cause it wasn't that much more than kits:confused: maybe I was feelin' rich that day:smokin:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I used one of the kits from AutoZone to rebuild my master cylinder. Been going strong for 3 years now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've used them several times and as stated above, if the bore is clean, rustfree & pit free, you should have no problem with them.

Just make sure you lube the seals with brake fluid upon assembly.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
As with anything, YMMV. But after doing the repair kit and still having problems, then going the aftermarket "rebuilt" route and still having problems, I just went with Toyota parts and haven't had any problems in the last 50K miles. Figured my time messing with it was worth more than I was saving on doing it "cheap."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts