Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
Mexico has cartels to deal with.
My dad used to work for constellation wines, they own the corona/Pacifico/Modelo brewery on the other side of the Texas border. The shit they have to go through to make sure the employees are not dirty and that the cartel isn’t taking over is amazing. They basically have a private police force the checks up to make sure nobody is living above their means. Wild shit.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
US companies will not be able to compete in the retail market if they bring manufacturing back to the US. As Panzer said, hard to pay people in the US $15/hr when we can pay the Chinese $0.15/per day.

If everyone banded together and fuck you to the Orient, maybe. But that won't happen. If we pulled out of China we'd just hop down the street to next shit hole in India.

This^^^

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
True. Most people don't/won't want to pay $49 for a 36 qt. cooler when they can get it for $29 made in China.
I beg to differ... If it was better quality, I would pay more. Better quality = longer lasting = less I spend in the long run.

Where are the cheap Chinese made automobiles to replace the more expensive models?

Also, if we do manufacture more in the states, it only means that our labor force spends on US products more often than not. Bring back American craftsmanship... tool up the factories again and start cranking out a quality product again.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
In 10 years the Kung Flu is forgotten, and the US addiction will be worse than ever. Compounded by wealthy chinese nationals who are buying up real estate world wide at an unbelievable rate. Witness Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Washington State, parts of CA.
We largely stopped that shit from the Chinese recently. The CCP, Feds and state government all did various things to shut down the Chinese buying to get money out of the country. They're still doing it, but not lke it was.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
I would gladly pay more for a product made here of similar or better quality.
In fact my first tattoo I got was.
"Made in the USA" across the top of my back. I had wanted it as long as I could remember and got it about 18 years ago

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
The Chinese communist gov has killed 100 million of its own people. But they get a pass on that just like they get a pass on everything else they do thats fucked up.
this.

nobody gives a fuck about dead chinese, not even the peoples party.

i'm betting there will be lots more video conferences though instead of face to face, that trend is sure to continue.

the virus doesn't survive the voyage across the sea in a shipping container and it certainly doesn't survive on wire transfers.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
What if buying USA goods were to become in vogue again? :ShockingIdeas:

People pay out the ass for brands that depict opulence. You guys don't think people are willing to spend more for a product that says something about them to other people?
that is what i'm banking my future on, but it has been happening, at least in the PNW hipster bullshit places for at least a decade.

shop local/buy local sanders2020....you don't get those bumper stickers together in the south? :laughing:

all the boutique craft artisan BS stuff. that is my future market and i'm looking forward to it continuing.

it has always been around, but it has been under huge pressure. every major crash of globalism gives it new life, so as long as we continue to see a large failure of globalism at least once a decade, it should work out just dandy.

·
Premium Member
30,238 Posts
My dad used to work for constellation wines, they on the corona/Pacifico/Modelo brewery on the other side of the Texas border. The shit they have to go through to make sure the employees are not dirty and that the cartel isn’t taking over is amazing. They basically have a private police force the checks up to make sure nobody is living above their means. Wild shit.
Yep. It's crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I'm not sure what will happen, but I think there is a very real possibility that China will be hurting badly after this. While it's true that the world wants cheap goods, once they realize just how much this pandemic has cost them, and realize that they could have gone without some things while paying more for other things and avoided this mess all together...they may change their minds.

Ask anyone who has lost their job in the last 30 days whether or not they'd pay $49 for that cooler instead of $29 if they could have kept their job...I'd bet all would say yes. Granted, Global commerce did not cause this virus, but it sure helped it spread as fast as it has.

If I look at all the trinkety bullshit people get on Amazon because it's so cheap and too cool not to buy at that price...nobody needs it, they barely even want it, but buy it only because it's cheap. Do without all that bullshit and boom, now you can afford domestically produced good at their higher prices. This is one such adjustment I started making about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
China is in a stronger position now than they were 6 months ago. People want their cheap shit and have no problem getting it from China. Right now you can't get new plastic molding tooling made up domestically, but call a broker who deals with China and you'll have samples off the press in a week or two. Unreal. They will do whatever they can to ship, while 75% of Americans now want a stay-at-home nationwide order because they know they are going to get unemployment forever.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its gonna be hard to beat a country that has 100’s of millions of people that will work for dollars a day, and a place that lets pollution run rampant.
Agree.

We should only be trading with other countries where people are free and there is a level playing field.

Beyond ridiculous to empower lying totalitarian regimes. Does the free world have to sell their future so corporations can be even more profitable?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts