Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you know about Baja Claws

Looking to buy a set of Baja Claws 35x15.5 15's for my 85 Runner and wanted to know who runs them and how they work on the rocs?

I am running 35x12.50 15's MTR's right now and really like this tire but want to go wider. Going to be picking up a used set and want to know if it is worth it and if I will be as happy with them as my MTR's.

Cheers for the info.. :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
477 Posts
the mickeys run small, and the 35x15.50 is only for a 16" rim, the 35x13.50 size is for a 15" rim...and they run narrow...stick with the mt/r or like gnob said sack up and go 37s

·
Registered
535 Posts
uh.. do a search, you'll find all kinds of info..

but basically..

they're great in dirt. good in snow. ok on rocks. suck in mud. depends on what/where you're running.

also the 35" tires usually measure a tad over 33" ... althouight i dont think this only happens to this tire. I measured my '33' inch mud king's, and they were about 30.5"

lots of road noise too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Chewbacca said:
the mickeys run small, and the 35x15.50 is only for a 16" rim, the 35x13.50 size is for a 15" rim...and they run narrow...stick with the mt/r or like gnob said sack up and go 37s
yes they do run small, but i would have to say your wrong on the 35x15.50's only being for a 16" rim...my buddy has them on a 15" rim..and yes they are the 15.50 and to where his has a double row of tread going down the middle instead of the single:p

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Our group has alot of experience matching up Claws,Swampers and BfGs against each other in the rocks. The Mickey Thompson Claws are an awsome rock tire. If you are running rocks stick with the 13.50 wide bias ply though. Short fat tires don't have enough contact pressure for rock crawling. The bias ply tires seem to deform over rocks better than the radials.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
zags said:
Our group has alot of experience matching up Claws,Swampers and BfGs against each other in the rocks. The Mickey Thompson Claws are an awsome rock tire. If you are running rocks stick with the 13.50 wide bias ply though. Short fat tires don't have enough contact pressure for rock crawling. The bias ply tires seem to deform over rocks better than the radials.
what air pressure do you guys run at? The only experiance I've had was two jeeps that were almost identicly setup on the rubicon. The BFG's worked better in the rocks, and on the road. The mickeys worked better in loose dirt but that was it.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
zags said:
If you are running rocks stick with the 13.50 wide bias ply though. Short fat tires don't have enough contact pressure for rock crawling. The bias ply tires seem to deform over rocks better than the radials.
I have to disagree with you here zags, I run 35x15.50-15 SX's and they are AWESOME in the rocks, Partly I'm sure to their width; they have hellof contact which makes me very rarely spin a tire compared to friends running narrower tires. Just my 2 cents.
Jeff

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
KING K5 said:

I have to disagree with you here zags, I run 35x15.50-15 SX's and they are AWESOME in the rocks, Partly I'm sure to their width; they have hellof contact which makes me very rarely spin a tire compared to friends running narrower tires. Just my 2 cents.
Jeff
I wonder why EVERY competition rock tire built is a 12.50 or 13.50 then? :confused:.

TNToy said:
Zags, were yours 35s or 37s before the SXs?
I had 35's that I ran at 6 psi, too short. I bought SXs just before the 37's became available. I would probably be running 37 in. claws now if they had been available. The next set will be 40" BFG Krawlers if they going to make them. I will need to step up to some Dana 60's before that though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to have 31X11.50 Bias ply Claws and my experience was that they worked great for mud (except for off camber muddy situations), loose dirt and in the rocks. They have very little to no sidewall flex and do run small. They also wear very quickly especially if you run them on your DD. Lots of road noise too.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
zags said:
I wonder why EVERY competition rock tire built is a 12.50 or 13.50 then? :confused:.
Um...I don't think we're talking about competition tires and I'm not a tire manufacturer so go ask them. all I was doing was giving my opinion and I disagree with you due to my personal experience. and if this is the case then why is everyone I know running 38.5x 14.50 SX's and not the 38.5x12.50 SX's??? :flipoff2:
Jeff

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
KING K5 said:
. all I was doing was giving my opinion and I disagree with you due to my personal experience. and if this is the case then why is everyone I know running 38.5x 14.50 SX's and not the 38.5x12.50 SX's??? :flipoff2:
Jeff
I too was expressing my opinion on my personal experience for the type of rock crawling we do. Alot of the stuff we run is vertical dry rock very similar to what comp rigs encounter, and fat tires just wont bite on the lightweight rigs we run. If they made a 38.5x12.50 SX, I would be running them. They do, howerever make a 38x12.50 SX. Having compared the two tires on the exact same rim (15x10)side by side,I found that they are two totally different tires. The 38.5 stands about 1 1/2" taller than the 38. the lugs are different, and the footprint is only marginally wider than the 38 giving them a very similar aspect ratio. A 35x15.50 Is just too short and fat to perform well here, we see that all of the time. If it works well for the type of wheeling you do thats great, it's why we all share info on this forum. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
i run some 35x15.50x15 claws and they work great on the rocks I runnin them till they blow:D

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I had a set of 35" Claws and as long as the terrain is dry they stick ok to sharp stuff, but as soon as it gets wet they tend to slide off anything but the sharpest rocks. They suck in mud too.. pack up way too fast, see the pic above... nice if you like race slicks... I got rid of 'em. I was way happier with TSL's and MTR's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.