Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m a long time reader and lurker but have never had anything of interest to post until now.

Two weeks ago I was purchasing a trailer to carrying my 1950 MG TD and ATV, and though this trailer is not sized for a vehicle in this group the same principals of Haulmark quality control and customer service still apply when looking for a trailer for your 4X4.

I have recently had a bad experience with Haulmark trailers and I thought anyone thinking about purchasing a Haulmark trailer should look out for this problem. I am not trying to flame the company, I just thought others could learn from my experience.

On Friday, May 30, 2014, I purchased a new 7’ x 16’ enclosed Haulmark TSTV Transport cargo trailer with tandem 3500 lb spring axles, beavertail and ramp door. For those unfamiliar with Haulmark trailers, the TSTV Transport model is their commercial line of trailers and is suppose to be of better quality. To be fair, I thought the trailer nicely built and a good value for the money.

On the drive home, at approximately 65 mph, the trailer started to sway, so much so that it began to pull the back of my 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 around DRAMATICALLY until speed was reduced to less that 60 mph - most exciting to say the least.

Once home, I did an internet search and discovered that a few other Haulmark trailer owners had posted similar problems; trailers swaying at highway speeds and trailers showing excessive tire wear. It seems that the root cause of the swaying and excessive tire wear were that the axles were out of alignment and the trailer would try to pull to one side or the other and not track straight.

Sure enough, when I took measurements of the axles on my trailer I noticed two things;

1) The rear axle was offset to the right of the front axle by 3/8".
2) The distance between the axle hub centers was not equal: the right side measurement was 33 ¼” and the left side measurement was 33 3/4".

No wonder the trailer swayed - the axles were not parallel. The axles were ½” out of alignment creating a permanent “right turn” for the trailer. I imagine that an axle misalignment of a lesser amount would not cause the sway I experienced but only cause the reported excessive tire wear.

I never noticed the axle misalignment while at the dealer; I just took it for granted that a new trailer from a reputable company would have the axles properly installed. After all, axles and frames are the backbone of any trailer and you expect them to be installed correctly during manufacture.

The following day, Saturday, May 31st, I returned the trailer to the dealership and was able to get my check back. Unfortunately for me, this little adventure cost me 6 hours of driving time (two 160 mile round trips) and approximately $83 in gasoline (at $3.89 a gallon) and I still have no trailer.

I have since emailed and spoken on the phone with the Universal Trailer Corporation Director of Customer Service (Haulmark Trailer parent company) numerous times about this safety concern. The Haulmark rep said that sometimes “mistakes do happen” and that this particular trailer needed to be returned to the factory and the axle misalignment examined.

Nice sentiment, but it seems that this has not happened thus far.

On June 6th, I noticed an advertisement on Craigslist for a white, 7’ X 16’ Haulmark Transport Trailer from the same dealer that I purchased my defective trailer from. I found this interesting because the picture in the ad looked an awful lot like my old trailer (Haulmark sticker on left front was installed crooked). In addition, when I bought my trailer the week before, it was the only Haulmark Transport V-Nose of that size he had on his lot. Now in all fairness, I can not say with any authority that my defective trailer is indeed being resold. The only way for me to be certain would to go back to the dealer and take a look, but since that would require another 160 mile round trip just to check, and that’s not going to happen, I only mention this as a precaution to potential buyers.

Interestingly enough, when I mentioned the possibility of my defective trailer being resold again (unrepaired) to the Director of Customer Service for Haulmark, I was told; “I'm getting the feeling no matter what length we go to you won't be able to trust us. Therefore I would recommend considering other trailer sources”. I have received no correspondence from Haulmark since then.

Two weeks have passes since I purchased the defective trailer and I have not received confirmation or denial that the trailer is being repaired or replaced, though Haulmark initially told me I would be informed of such.

In light of my recent experience, I urge anybody who is purchasing a new or used trailer from Haulmark, or any manufacture for that matter, to use caution, take a few measurements and ensure for yourself that the axles are aligned, parallel and installed properly. After all, “mistakes do happen”.

I will post any responses or developments to this situation if they occur.

By the way, I am still using my 13 year old “Road Boss” flat bed trailer to haul my TJ – great trailer and never had a problem with axle alignment.

Jordonr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone on another forum alerted me to the procedure to align trailer axles. Thought I should pass it along to anyone who may need to have this done.

This seems like an easy and inexpensive way to ensure that the axles are aligned and running true. Once done, I bet I will not experience anymore sway and excessive tire wear.

I'm posting this because I did not know this was possible and thought there might be someone else who could use this information.

Jordonr

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
After reading your entire post, I feel that you are an irrational consumer.
The company gave you your money back, without incident. They explained that this was a concern to them and would return to the factory.
Anything past that point, is you being a complete ass.

You see a trailer that "possibly" is the same one for sale. Your hunch comes off the crooked sticker bullshit and you start harassing the company, like they need to answer to you. Get a fucking life. Haulmark fixed the wrong when they returned your money.

It pisses me off to see pieces of shit, drag a company through the dirt when they did everything to make it right. I guarantee that every single trailer manufacture has had an issue with axles being misaligned, it happens.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Op needs to quit being a whiny cunt.

Oh and don't bother reporting this post, those reports come to me.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
They returned your money and it sounds like they offered to sell you another trailer. You didn't look at the one for sale solid say it's likely they repaired any issues they had with it. And BTW, those measurements aren't a big deal. Grab a tape and measure just about any trailer, especially one that's a few years old. They are never gonna be perfectly square and if they start that way they probably won't stay that way. I'm guessing the sway was due to tongue weight or ball height issues but not enough info to tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts