Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres your fix:D

Well I was tired of the stock week starter, I had replaced a couple of these over the years.....the stock ones just dont last that long.

So I was speaking with Larry at Mad4wd (TJFan) and he told me about this one.....

2hp Mean Green starter!!

This thing is BAD A$$:D

As you can see in the pic, the size of this thing is larger than a stock zuk starter. The workman ship and quality of this is amazing. It weighs a couple pounds more than the stock one, but you can see that the solenoid is quite a bit larger as well.

First thing you do is disconect the battery cables from the battery. Then I removed the wires from the terminal on the starter. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the starter to the block and slide it out.

Then do just the opposite to install the new one, no grinding of anything, no special adapter, just bolt it on, hook up your wires and turn the key.

The motor turns over effortless now.....I cant believe the difference this made!

Total install time was about 15minutes, and that included taking pics:D

These retail for about $250. You can contact myself or Larry for one of these.

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
starter

What's the deal with the shield (the ?"hood"? that sticks out of the business end of the starter) being ommited on that there razzle dazzle starter? Is it not needed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Re: Re: starter

RudeZuk said:


Im honestly not sure what that is for...:confused:
It's on every starter I've ever seen, Chevy, FRD, Sami, Dodge....all of 'em. Seems like sumthin like that, that is so widely used, has a purpose....I'm pretty sure I don't know what that is tho either.:confused:

Unless it's mostly there to support the other end of the slide shaft....in which case the new fangled one you got there better have a stout main shaft. (normally the gears are pushed forward by the solenoid on a fixed shaft, looks like your new one has a mobile shaft :eek: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: starter

ebuck said:


It's on every starter I've ever seen, Chevy, FRD, Sami, Dodge....all of 'em. Seems like sumthin like that, that is so widely used, has a purpose....I'm pretty sure I don't know what that is tho either.:confused:
I do know that Mean Green has been around for quite a while, and they make heavy duty starters for most rigs.....

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
nice, but for the money i like my 100 dollar Lifetime warrenty autozone starter. with free replacements i can afford to blow a few of these up :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
My only question, is have you disconnected the starter safety interlocks, and try crawling the zuk with that starter?

Should work if you did it right..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,833 Posts
That is not really a special starter. It is basically your normal starter from Japan these days. I used one from a Isuzu Impluse to turn over my VW swap. But Mean Green machines different adapters to make them fit other applications. As I recall that Isuzu starter was not cheap either. It worked great!

The "hood" on the starters is there to support the starter shaft.

Persoanlly I have not had any issues with Zuk starters other then the click-click shit that is easily fixed with a better connection to the battery via a $5 relay. but if you get a rebuilt starter from the local auto parts place, you might find that you are going to be stuck using that lifetime guarantee for the rest of your life.. The quality of those rebuilds suck.

-Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
rotozuk said:


Persoanlly I have not had any issues with Zuk starters other then the click-click shit that is easily fixed with a better connection to the battery via a $5 relay. but if you get a rebuilt starter from the local auto parts place, you might find that you are going to be stuck using that lifetime guarantee for the rest of your life.. The quality of those rebuilds suck.

-Wayne
Ok, I'll bite. Just where in the system do you put this "$5 relay"? I am sick and tired of that "click-click" shit. Are you replacing the connection betweent the battery and starter (need a high amp relay for that), or the contacts in the ignition switch?:rasta:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,419 Posts
my dad puts sidekick or tracker that damn thing shake the whole damn samurai it's bad ass:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
RudeZuk said:


So I was speaking with Larry at Mad4wd (TJFan) and he told me about this one.....

2hp Mean Green starter!!

Rudezuk,
Whats the application for that starter or are they
specifically made for Suzukis?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
nozuk said:
my dad puts sidekick or tracker that damn thing shake the whole damn samurai it's bad ass:D

What the Fawk did he just say????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Have problems with zuk starter?

rollerskate said:


Rudezuk,
Whats the application for that starter or are they
specifically made for Suzukis?

I think that they just have a bunch of starter motors according to there HP....then they make custom mounting and gears for each different rig.


But yes this is for a samurai...

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top