Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I have heard of a few folks. I would say that the biggest culprit is that the bolts aren't torqued down enough. I think it is important to check torque after every trail ride.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
How many pounds should they be torqued to I have always torqued them down DFT

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
no, I haven't ... and I'm kinda surprised too, they are early prototypes that were not machined correctly, but I had to go wheelin':D. So far no probs in 5 or so years ... oh yeah, maybe it has something to do with the little 35's I run.

Eric

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I think that the DFT wrench from Sear's will suffice. I would say at least 90-110 ft pounds. I think people that shear them off probably let them get loose and the metal fatigues from being stressed back and forth.
SeanP

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Weezer said:
How many pounds should they be torqued to I have always torqued them down DFT
I torque mine to 100 ft lbs. That was in the specs in a Ford Service Manual for the steering arm stud nuts for the stock J type steering arm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
tapered bushings should stop that.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
broke 2 on the drivers side.

culprit was winching forward out of a hole that was smaller than my jeep. the force was to much and cracked the studs, then i finished them off on fordyce. i think there is just to much force on the studs when used as highsteer instead of just crossover applications. my reasoning is that the force of steering on one side is what the studs/knuckles were designed for. so when you tie the other wheel being forced the other way against one rock and the other trying to turn the vehicle its just enough force to make the studs fail or knuckles crack. i could be wrong but i've had freinds who have cracked knuckles, then went back to just crossover and didnt have any problems.:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts