Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Hammer King rules now dictate that we must wear an SFI approved head and neck restraint system. I raced all this year with a NecksGen Rev and I gotta say I'm not a fan. I previously wore a K2 neck roll and at the end of the races my neck was a lot less sore than with the NecksGen.

I have talked with the pro's and I get it. In a big bad hi-G crash the neck roll gives the helmet a fulcrum point to break your neck with. However the rest of the time, just banging around inside the rig a regular strap style HANS doesn't support your head AT ALL where a neck roll is always helping hold your head up.

I have only tried the NecksGen and went with it because it looked simpler to use than the others. Now I am looking for something that not only catches your head in big impacts but also does lateral support in the normal bumping around rough trails. This may go nowhere but its worth asking, I'm not arguing whether we should have to wear them or not, it is for our own safety. In 2015 we went over 5 miles at 107 mph at KOH so I do value the safety equipment. Problem is going 20-25 mph though wrecking ball, jack etc I'm a bobble head without the foam neck brace.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
At the PRI show last week NeckGen had neckrolls in various sizes they made to work with their own restraint. May be worth a google search or call to neckgen.
This is what you are talking about i believe...

http://www.necksgen.com/product/wedge-frontal-helmet-support/

Iv had a necksgen for 2 seasons now and had a simpson hybrid pro before that. I disliked the simpson as it was very restrictive for side to side neck movement which was really only an issue at a race like KOH.

After switching I would not go back, the necksgen can be left attached to the helmet if you need to take it off, its much lighter and as I mentioned I found I had greater range of motion and visibility. Iv rolled hard with both braces as well as none at all. Both helped in the particular situations and I don't think one really did its job better that the other. You really feel the pain the next day if you arn't wearing one at all :shaking:

Iv never had the issues of neck fatigue you talk about but I have also never worn the doughnut neck brace as I found them restrictive. You need to find a medium ground where you personally are comfortable. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over two years ago I made the mistake of not wearing any sort of neck brace and getting into the rig to go pre-running. I thought we were going to go roll around the course at ram off-road park in Colorado springs. That whole course is an mx/atv/utv course with a bunch of doubles and gaps and stuff. We cased the back side of a gap jump and went from what had to be at least 45 to 0 in .1 second a hit hard enough to bend a double trussed front housing built to take that kind of hit. My neck has never fully recovered from that and fatigue has been an issue only since then.

I didn't know NecksGen had those, I am going to buy one and give it a try, thanks!

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
You aren't the first to complain about them causing neck pain. IMO that shows how they fail to do what they are supposed to do, support your head. Adding a donut is a huge bandaid, imo.

I run the Simpson hybrid and nothing else. No matter what race I'm at, or what I've done to dish it out, the Simpson takes it. I've never been sore after a race. I've never had to take even aspirin afterwards for headaches or neck pain. Hell, I just hit that tree 2 months ago at 50 mph - passenger did get bruises on his shins from hitting the underside of the dash, though. Busted the winch in half, too. That tree didn't give at all. Even a nice hard barrel roll through the desert at 70, and the same again, nothing. That alone is proof to me that their product works, and works well. I'll never even think about buying, or even using, something else.

I'm not sure what our paths will do at KOH this year - I know we'll both be busy. But you are welcome to borrow it for pre-running if you'd like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
You aren't the first to complain about them causing neck pain. IMO that shows how they fail to do what they are supposed to do, support your head. Adding a donut is a huge bandaid, imo.

I run the Simpson hybrid and nothing else. No matter what race I'm at, or what I've done to dish it out, the Simpson takes it. I've never been sore after a race. I've never had to take even aspirin afterwards for headaches or neck pain. Hell, I just hit that tree 2 months ago at 50 mph - passenger did get bruises on his shins from hitting the underside of the dash, though. Busted the winch in half, too. That tree didn't give at all. Even a nice hard barrel roll through the desert at 70, and the same again, nothing. That alone is proof to me that their product works, and works well. I'll never even think about buying, or even using, something else.

I'm not sure what our paths will do at KOH this year - I know we'll both be busy. But you are welcome to borrow it for pre-running if you'd like.
John is looking for support. The Simpson isn't going to support the weight of the helmet any more than the Necksgen.

The Necksgen wedge looks to exactly what he is looking for. Simpson also makes a donut for their neck restraints.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have used an R3 since 2009. Every KOH, short course, Rock Race, desert Race, Pikes Peak I have worn it. 95% of the time I wear a neckroll with it. Before I did, I checked with Safety Solutions who developed the R3 and they said absolutely they can be worn together. You do need the correct hieght collar. Now Simpson makes them with relief cuts to clear HnR set ups. Safety Solutions were bought out by Simpson and now no longer sell the R3 for adults, only youth.

I have been in several big wrecks and big hits. I am a firm believer in wearing it all, all the time. I went out on an easy pre-run without it once and came back sore.

For those that need a new SFI date you can send them to Simpson and get them recertified. Cost vary from $40-200 or so depending what they need.

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
John is looking for support. The Simpson isn't going to support the weight of the helmet any more than the Necksgen.

The Necksgen wedge looks to exactly what he is looking for. Simpson also makes a donut for their neck restraints.
I think he would find that a better HANS will give him the support he's looking for

·
Wet Trail Wheeler
1,404 Posts

Slight hijack; what location is this tree, good looking country. Reminds me of eastern oregon. That's a tough pine tree.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I think he would find that a better HANS will give him the support he's looking for
How? Neither support the helmet in anyway other than forward and side motion. Both attaching to the exact same place on the helmet. Both can adjust the amount of forward movement. How would the HANS support the weight of the helmet any different than the Necksgen or any other restraint?

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
Slight hijack; what location is this tree, good looking country. Reminds me of eastern oregon. That's a tough pine tree.
On Al Hogans' property in Columbus, MT. That's the second of the two trees we hit. The other I actually thought was a bush; but that was just a tire hit. It is now laying on the ground. At the time, I was thinking 'crap, about to roll, save it, oh shit off course, there's a bush no biggy, keep it pinned and get back on course... OH SHIT! TREE!' wham :homer: lol

Attachments

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
How? Neither support the helmet in anyway other than forward and side motion. Both attaching to the exact same place on the helmet. Both can adjust the amount of forward movement. How would the HANS support the weight of the helmet any different than the Necksgen or any other restraint?
Because... I believe his, and others, are experiencing neck pain from a shitty HANS device. Causing the lack of support, and in turn, causing the neck pain and headaches. That's why I offered to let him try mine.

I'd like to see tests done with one of these shitty HANS devices used together with a neck roll. I bet the neck roll still acts like a wedge/fulcrum and I wouldn't be surprised if the SFI certification is no good anymore.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Because... I believe his, and others, are experiencing neck pain from a shitty HANS device. Causing the lack of support, and in turn, causing the neck pain and headaches. That's why I offered to let him try mine.

I'd like to see tests done with one of these shitty HANS devices used together with a neck roll. I bet the neck roll still acts like a wedge/fulcrum and I wouldn't be surprised if the SFI certification is no good anymore.
Just because you don't like a product and keep calling it shitty by no means makes it shitty :shaking: :flipoff2:

I love my "shitty" Necksgen and would never switch back to the Simpson hybrid.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mitch has the same Simpson that Wayne has. Its function is no different than my necksgen. The execution is completely different but changing to a simpson isn't going to change anything for me.

They both have straps that are slack until an event where they go taught and catch your head. The straps are what stop your head from being able turn (unlike a neck roll) so they have to be slack or you wouldn't be able to turn your head. The only way the straps will do what I want is if they are taught all the time. That's not going to work for this sport. Drag racing, yes. U4, no.

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
Mitch has the same Simpson that Wayne has. Its function is no different than my necksgen. The execution is completely different but changing to a simpson isn't going to change anything for me.

They both have straps that are slack until an event where they go taught and catch your head. The straps are what stop your head from being able turn (unlike a neck roll) so they have to be slack or you wouldn't be able to turn your head. The only way the straps will do what I want is if they are taught all the time. That's not going to work for this sport. Drag racing, yes. U4, no.
The end result might be the same between brands, but the difference is you aren't the first to say your neck hurts after racing with a Nexgen. I've not heard anyone complain about it with other brands. And I think that adding a neckroll is defeating the purpose of the HANS, and can still cause injury in a crash.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
The end result might be the same between brands, but the difference is you aren't the first to say your neck hurts after racing with a Nexgen. I've not heard anyone complain about it with other brands. And I think that adding a neckroll is defeating the purpose of the HANS, and can still cause injury in a crash.
I'm pretty sure if the neckroll was unsafe neither Simpson or Necksgen would be selling them to run with their neck restraints. I know your a fan of the Simpson unit. But please explain how it supports the helmet any better than the Necksgen.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I want to be clear, my stated neck pain is from my seat being too low and constantly pushing my chin up to see better. The seat are out now to be raised for KOH and the '17 season. Couple that with College sports ruining my neck and back.

I have no reason to believe my necksgen has anything to do with my neck pain. both my co-dogs have never experienced neck pain. With my raised seat, I expect it to go away. But feel free to ask me in a few months, I'll be honest.

Now we did have pretty bad shoulder rub and rash until they came out with the gel shoulder pads. They sent them to me for free and we no longer have any shoulder rash from the unit.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts