Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have good website on where to get some good headers for an 84 22r....going to run some headers to 2-1/4 pipe to 3 chamber flowmaster...anyone run this? not going to run cat (for now) if i dont need it! input plz...thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't have a link. I got my Doug Thorley tri-Y out of one of my mag's and bought my Flowmaster from a hot rod place locally. I'm tickled to death with mine,no leaks or troubles for 2 years. I tried running no cat once but it was a little to loud for my taste,sounded and ran good but just a little to much noise for me. I put my cat back on but made a piece I can slide in place of the cat just incase I feel like making some noise.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had some trouble with a set of L.C. headers, but that was with an 85 efi. The way they set the o2 sensor up doesn't keep it hot enough to send a good signal to the computer. The port needs to be on two opposite firing cylinders and on the set I had it was only on #4. Since yours is carbed then it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
is the LC smog legal? last time i checked it wasnt. aleast in the eco-nazi capitial of the world cali.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yup it is 50 state- if you can get it to pass with an85-88 with the o2 location on the header itself, not in front of the cat.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
having problems finding a place that sells flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers for my toyota and a decent header at the same place....4wheel parts doesnt sell flowies or toy headers for an 84........like to get them both at one store.....anyone have some good info on where? thanks--

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what muffler would you recomend using with the thorley heades and 2-1/4 tubing and no cat to get enough back pressure so all the power from this 22r is not lost!?!?! will a 3 chamber flowmaster be good enough? or what would you recomend???

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow anywhere have ceramic for around 200?? over 400 is kinda steep

·
Registered
265 Posts
i run the lc engineering headers with a flowmaster fourty series on my 82 22r and i loved it. Headers looked great and bolted right up. I definitly recomend them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
F.Y.I.******

DOUG
THORLLY
50 STATE LEGAL IS VERY OPPTIMISTIC / "get it really hot on freeway 1st then smog it asap."

I had to go back home and put my old stock stuff on ,

the header kicks but ,but needs to get a better hole for the 02

bad signal from 02 especially at winter fun fest in all the cold and on the trails,

just never gets a good signal /oh wait on the freeway its happy.

alongggg time ago

22MPG 1985 4Runner with 529's with 33's turbo muffler and 4 into 2-into 1 header.

THE O2 SET UP IS NOT HAPPY AT ALL ON THE E.F.I.
it only gets #4 tube as a sniffer.

hope all this helps.

·
Registered
473 Posts
He has a Carb.. No Efi..
I have a Thorley I like mine.
The Problem with the o2 sensors is after market.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have the LC Engineering header, works great, I used the oxygen sensor fitting to adapt fuel mixture meter, now I can see how my carb's running. They're right about the fitting being too far from the engine, I had to use a heated oxygen sensor, but it gets all four cylinders sampled. I threaded the cap to install a generic sensor, spark plug threads.

It sounds like you should just get the 2 1/4 flowmaster you want and go to the muffler shop and get it all put together. Isn't that the way they sell them, the in and out size? Cut the old hangers off and use them on the new 2 1/4 pipe. From what I've heard this is the economy way to do it but still gets good results.

·
Registered
726 Posts
PurpleYotaGirl said:
He has a Carb.. No Efi..
I have a Thorley I like mine.
The Problem with the o2 sensors is after market.

I Know he has a "carb"

the 411 is for the EFI crowd,

not older easy carb set ups like yours.

"Thorly header on 22RE willl lope when cold, from 400 rpms too like 850 RPMs *****then run good for awhile****

HEATED 02 sensor might work thow on efi.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WELL I WENT AHEAD AND GOT AN LCENGINEERING CERAMIC COATED HEADDER AND THIER MUFFLER(3 CHAMBER)....(THEY SAID MUFFLER BUILT SIMILAR TO FLOWMASTER) GONA INSTALL THAT WITH 2-1/4 TUBE

IM CURRENTLY RUNNING SMOG PUMP (DONT NEED TO) WOULD YOU RECOMEND HOOKING IT BACK UP TO THE HEADER OR LOSE IT ALL TOGETHER?! LOOKING FOR A LITTLE MORE POWER AND SOME ECONOMY....THANKS AGAIN ALL

·
Registered
473 Posts
4RUNNERJADE said:

I Know he has a "carb"

the 411 is for the EFI crowd,

not older easy carb set ups like yours.

"Thorly header on 22RE willl lope when cold, from 400 rpms too like 850 RPMs *****then run good for awhile****

HEATED 02 sensor might work thow on efi.
I have an 82 Fed toyota.. And his Carb is Set up just like mine. An 87 with Carb is set up just like mine.

The only thing that Norm has that I don't have is a Smog Pump..
But I have air Injection.
Hey Jade maybe you should be the one going to school for your Master Tech

·
Registered
473 Posts
strmin said:
WELL I WENT AHEAD AND GOT AN LCENGINEERING CERAMIC COATED HEADDER AND THIER MUFFLER(3 CHAMBER)....(THEY SAID MUFFLER BUILT SIMILAR TO FLOWMASTER) GONA INSTALL THAT WITH 2-1/4 TUBE

IM CURRENTLY RUNNING SMOG PUMP (DONT NEED TO) WOULD YOU RECOMEND HOOKING IT BACK UP TO THE HEADER OR LOSE IT ALL TOGETHER?! LOOKING FOR A LITTLE MORE POWER AND SOME ECONOMY....THANKS AGAIN ALL
Yo Norm your Yellin.:p
I am coming to stay with yall in July don't forget

1 - 20 of 56 Posts