Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got some after market Headers and have been told it cant be smoged without a small plate stamped or attached to the Header.
Im not sure what brand the Headers are?What should I do can I get a plate somewhere or should I just look for a stock mnifold?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
For a ..................?

·
Registered
909 Posts
You need an EO number. I believe LC sells theirs stamped on the header, everyone else just supplies a sticker that can be put on the firewall. If you didn't get an EO# with the headers, then they aren't smog legal in CA.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
Find a friendly smog shop and 'splain that the header has been on the truck forever.
I did that a few years ago and went through.
Danny

·
Registered
262 Posts
yea LCE has a carb # (maybe donwey as well) or just try a shady smog place and hope he doesnt notice

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you can print out a picture of the header and give it to the Smog tech with the EO # "Sometimes" they will let it slide.
They need to input the EO # into the smog machine to cover their ass if the BAR walks in and checks the car they are running.

Just find a picture of a header that "looks" like the one on your truck.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Since the thorley ones come with the EO# on a sticker, I've always figured one could just print a professional looking sticker on your own and stick it on the firewall. I doubt they would question it. Illegal? I have no idea. It's just a sticker. Maybe don't bother putting the manufacturer on it, so there's no trademark infringement.

Or since it's a sticker, just put it in your wallet or in the glove box, and only show it when asked.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Any chance someone has a picture of one of these stickers I guess I need to recreate one for the Smog Gods....passes everything but the visual, the smog guy says if we had a sticker we are golden.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Just call up one of the companies that has a header with a carb number on theirs and tell them you lost the sticker. If they have a plate that is tackwelded on then tell them your plater took the plate off when you had them ceramic coated. Thats what I told a buddy when he actually took the plate off of a set of JBA headers to paint them. Don't know why he did it but oh well. Told him to call JBA but he just put stock manifolds back on for smog and then put the headers on after.

·
Registered
511 Posts
:D My rig has the stock header and smog stuff, its also my DD and has a carb. I never have problems with smog so if you want keep the header, get the right smog stuff, get it smogged and then take off all the smog stuff and call it good for two years.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I smogged my truck with a header and it did not have any plate or info on it however it did have an o2 sensor and a heat riser, the smog rep never gave it a second look. Just find a cool shop and it should not be a problem if it has the smog required shit.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
:D My rig has the stock header and smog stuff, its also my DD and has a carb. I never have problems with smog so if you want keep the header, get the right smog stuff, get it smogged and then take off all the smog stuff and call it good for two years.
What stock header would that be?:shaking:

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
best way to find a eo# is to go to the consumer affairs website then to the BAR link. there is a number search for parts with exemption orders. I am not going to say it will work, but it is possible for you to print out the application and correct numbers for either your headers or ones like them. maybe it will work or maybe not. but the BAR website is the correct site to get the eo#'s from.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

use "list executive orders by device" just a print screen should work.

oops damn 56k took me a while to see how old the thread was or even all the posts.

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
Any chance someone has a picture of one of these stickers I guess I need to recreate one for the Smog Gods....passes everything but the visual, the smog guy says if we had a sticker we are golden.
I got Thorleys, it's D-200-18 for mine. My "tag" is a sticker, and not on the actual headers. Want a picture of it?

:D My rig has the stock header
What stock header would that be?:shaking:
You know, the one that came on the rare 1983 1/2, that also came with ARB locker, dual cases, and a 4link in the rear...

·
Registered
537 Posts
A picture is exactly what I am looking for, thanks

Thanks Noodles, I printed a copy of ARB Executive order and hopefully that will help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts