Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting new headers on my new engine before I drop it in. I don't have a lot of money, I don't want crome so it costs less, I need to come out at the fender. I have about $200.

I seen headmen headers for $159 a pair. Good idea? Anyone got issues with these kind?

Just looking for opinions and such on the matter.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you insist on putting headers on your motor, the worst thing you can do is go cheap. If you do, you`ll have nothing but prblems with leaks. As a general rule, if you aren`t spending at LEAST $300 they`ll be pretty low quality. What motor are they going on?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If the motor your putting them on is an AMC V-8, you won`t find a quality header for less than $350-400. I fought low quality headers for years on my AMC V-8`s and gave up and went back to stockers. If you take alittle time and port match and polish the stockers they do flow really well. The only headers I would even think about buying right now would be from Edelbrock.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a set of Headman Headers and they work good, the key to any headers are good gaskets, and good maintenance, making sure everytime you change your oil you check the torque on all the header bolts

spend the money on the headers, but spend extra on the gaskets

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go With Headman. Period - For The Money You Can't Beat Them.
I Have A Set On 304 V8 In My Cj5 - I Love Them. No Problems.
You Can Buy Them Rig Now At Summit Racing For 138.99 For The Pair With All Gaskets & Bolts.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If your engine is not heavily modified, the stock manifolds are reliable and flow ok. I'm running Headman's now but on my next rebuild, I'm going with the Doug Thorley tri Y's. The Headmans are an ok value as are the Edelbrocks for a few more bucks. The Doug Thorleys are the cadillacs but the Headmans are in the price range you described. There have been some sealing issues with the Headman's but you get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts