Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive done a couple of "searches" but cant seem to find a thread covering headlight upgrades. i am looking for different headlight replacements, that might work better than the "run-of-da-mill" replacements. maybe something that might cast out a little more. any ideas for an '87 60??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Best place to spend some $ to upgrade lights: rewire to run through a relay straight off the battery rather than through the switch. You can build the harness yourself or buy the harness from IPF. It will make a huge difference.

After that, if you still want more - switch out the lights themselves for H4 bulbs. I have the IPF ones and love them but all of the light mfgs. have them.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yep IPF H-4 lens, or if you can't get those Hella or Cibie.

upgrade the harness for sure if you run more than 55/60 watt bulbs.

JohnH

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i have the DOT hella light and the suck wish i had keep the "offroad" ones from the heep.... their drain hole sucks mud and no matter what i do i cant get it out ... the "offroad" were under water MANY time ...these hit 1 mud puddle before the were brown on the inside :mad:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Look for the "E Code" ones. They're not DOT approved for hiway but from my experience you'll get less hassle from the coppers because of the better light control output on them.

Alot of companies sell them. When I bought my last set the guy asked what they were going on and I said a dune buggy. He then said, good thing cause I wouldn't of sold them to you if you said anything else.

So after he came up and rang me up and I was all done paying for them I pointed to my friends Toyota out in the parking lot and said, thats my dune buggy..hehe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
osteology said:
You can build the harness yourself or buy the harness from IPF. It will make a huge difference.

After that, if you still want more - switch out the lights themselves for H4 bulbs. I have the IPF ones and love them but all of the light mfgs. have them.
GREAT!! thks very much for the input(s). one thing im confused about is whehter or not i need a new harness for the upgrade. heres a statement i pulled from this thread, from Rocky Road Outfitters.

"IPF uses a high pressue exotic gas mix in the bulb. This new process gives illumination equal to 80W on low beam 110W on high beam, with no added load to the factory wiring harness. The bulb has a phosphorescent ring at the base that stores light energy. When the lights are turned off, it will continue to glow for about ten minutes with enough light to find your way around in an average garage. Used with the IPF headlamp replacements, they'll make the Hella, PIAA, and every other competitor's H4s look dim."

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
No, you just buy the IPF(or Hella or whatever) lens, then use a H-4 bulb, I don't like the IPF bulbs, I use Hella bulbs. Upgrade harness is needed if you run higher than 55/60 or if you want more output out of the stock or H-4 lens. but with the harness you can run 100/135's or 80/100 or 55/100 or whatever

the IPF harness is M002, this is for a 2 headlamp set up like the 60.

SUV lights also has a harness, on a 60 you must use the Toyota harness or the highbeam dash light won't work.

Also I was told that E-code lens are legal in WA and OR........

I run e-codes(which are not DOT aproved) in 5-6 of my cruisers, even with 80watt low beams I have not been flashed or hassled.

John H

hullendersauce said:

GREAT!! thks very much for the input(s). one thing im confused about is whehter or not i need a new harness for the upgrade. heres a statement i pulled from this thread, from Rocky Road Outfitters.

"IPF uses a high pressue exotic gas mix in the bulb. This new process gives illumination equal to 80W on low beam 110W on high beam, with no added load to the factory wiring harness. The bulb has a phosphorescent ring at the base that stores light energy. When the lights are turned off, it will continue to glow for about ten minutes with enough light to find your way around in an average garage. Used with the IPF headlamp replacements, they'll make the Hella, PIAA, and every other competitor's H4s look dim."

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
It's not very hard to wire, basically a wire to the battery, a ground, and to turn on an off the lights use the wire that originally powers the lights... I would buy 2 harnesses and a 2 relays, for highbeam and low beam. If your new lights don't come with them (they shouldn't but in reality actually should) then go to partsexpress.com and search "relay." The Bosch relays are $1.99 and the harnesses are $2.99. For $10 + shipping you are into your whole wiring. These are also 5 tab relays, aka designed for lights...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Those are the Magic J bulbs...nice bright white light from a 55/60 bulb....like the guys said though, if you go 90/110, get the relay harness or make your Own

hullendersauce said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts