Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped off my heads this morning. They're quoting me $75 a head just to do the milling, and approx. $350 to go through the heads and freshen them up (for the pair).

Should be done by early next week. I'm going to get the rest of the gaskets today and see about starting the remainder of the tear-down in preperation for the install next week.

What do I do with the intake parts that look all brown and gross?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Serious One said:
Dropped off my heads this morning. They're quoting me $75 a head just to do the milling, and approx. $350 to go through the heads and freshen them up (for the pair).

What do I do with the intake parts that look all brown and gross?
$350 for the pair is okay, probably on the high end of the 'reasonable' range - I think that is what I paid out in SF Bay Area. I assume they'll check spring compression, etc?

You can take the intake parts (non-rubber) to any auto shop that has a hot solvent tank (maybe even the place that is doing your heads) for a dip. I haven't had any luck cleaning the shellac off myself with solvents, etc, but maybe I gave up to soon or should have used something a bit more carcinogenic. (ever notice that the cans with the largest carcinogen warnings make the best cleaners, wonder what's up with that...)

I've also been known to put durable parts in my self cleaning oven and run it through a cleaning cycle....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pugsly said:
I've also been known to put durable parts in my self cleaning oven and run it through a cleaning cycle....
Yeah, my wife would kick my ass if I did that with her brand new oven.

Think I'll ask the machine shop if they bathe parts.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
Serious One said:
just talked to machine shop...they'll clean everything I have for about 20 bucks.

:D
Speaking of ovens....Easy Off works great as well.

-Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JSBriggs said:
Speaking of ovens....Easy Off works great as well.

-Jeff
Alright, so here's what I have in my box of goodies to get cleaned tomorrow:

valve covers (minus plastic parts), trumpet thingie (don't know name), intake manifold (minus sensors), PS pump bracket (why not eh?), and that's all I can think of. The plenum isn't too bad, I figure I can carb-clean it pretty well, which beats the alternative of taking off all of the crap attatched to it.

I was wondering about the fuel rail. Isn't PaulS. always complaining how they clog with rust? I was thinking it would be pretty cool to get a Disco fuel rail with the schraeder valve so I can put in a fuel pressure guage.

Anything else I'm missing? What about the rockers? Do they need to get cleaned? Rods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,560 Posts
Mike:
$350 is highway robbery. For that, they'd better give you a trip back to vegas and a roll of nickels.

Rockers, get a new set of assemblies, they shouldn't cost you more than $150, worst case.

Send your injectors out for flow testing/cleaning. while I'm not a fan of this process, it is better than nothing. Also, have the fuel rail cooked as well.

PM me your address and a disco fuel rail might magically appear on your doorstep-if you''re nice :flipoff2:

Peace,
PT

PS-Rangie number three (or is it four) was looked at today and an offer was made. Lots of hemming and hawing, but the guy said he'd call if the Haitian who'd made an offer doesn't return-he's not expected, not nearly as serious as me. I'll have it home by Tuesday :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,560 Posts
SeaRover mine are off to CruzinPerformance in WI - real nice fella said:
http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html[/url]
How much? The local shop charges $17/ea to clean and flow test. More highway robbery if you ask me. For three times that, new injectors can be sourced. Less if you're a cheap bastard.

Peace,
PT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
$12 :smokin:

(edit:) my local price ranged from $22~24 PER INJECTOR :eek: I'm starting to wonder about this place in which you live, Paul - i have now struck out both on hyrdraulic lines and injectors. better luck with the heads, though - about $250 get's a good 3 angle and rebuild for the pair at a local british speed shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They called back at about 3pm today and said the heads were done, they'd already ground the valves, etc...from the sound of it, it sounds like they did everything.

I'm not thinking 350 is too much to pay for what they did.

My injectors are looking dirty, but I will probably just clean them up with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush and run them. If the truck doesn't run well, then I'll think about cleaning/testing/replacing them.

Any misc. parts that want to show up on my doorstep can be sent here:

12822 S. 3160 W.
Riverton, UT 89165

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
<< Any misc. parts that want to show up on my doorstep can be sent here: >>

:laughing: I have an extra bottle of seafoam!!

i wouldn't bother with the carb cleaner - you're as likely to knock some sludge loose and worsen them than anything. my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
You should start soaking your valve cover breather in solvent to clean oil residue from it. A weeks soak may clean it.

JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pendy said:
You should start soaking your valve cover breather in solvent to clean oil residue from it. A weeks soak may clean it.

JP
Yeah, one look at that was all it took to realize it was pretty gunked up. It's already soaking in gas. Yummy.

:cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,560 Posts
Use a 1/2" extension to push the "Steel wool" from the breather, unroll it, clean it with diesel fuel (my FAVORITE solvent), re-roll and insert (Merv?).

Peace,
PT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Serious One said:
My injectors are looking dirty, but I will probably just clean them up with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush and run them. If the truck doesn't run well, then I'll think about cleaning/testing/replacing them.
Last night I figured out one of my problems, one of the connectors for one of my injectors had completely corroded / rusted. Turns out it doesn't have the little gasket up inside the connector housing that should keep water, etc, out. Gotta find one.



Anyone have any good (cb) sources for a replacement injector?

What a PITA, I had never pulled an injector before on a Rover. Went ahead and pulled them all, going to get them all checked before reinstall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pugsly said:
Last night I figured out one of my problems, one of the connectors for one of my injectors had completely corroded / rusted. Turns out it doesn't have the little gasket up inside the connector housing that should keep water, etc, out. Gotta find one.
Have you had those injectors off before? Could that have been left off at initial assembly? Wouldn't surprize me.

:rolleyes:

I'll check mine...now you have me wondering. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Serious One said:
Have you had those injectors off before? Could that have been left off at initial assembly? Wouldn't surprize me.
The engine was swapped a while back, and there have been a lot of hands under the hood since then. I expect that it left the factory with the gaskets.

Hopefully it is a fairly stock item.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,560 Posts
Pugsly said:
Anyone have any good (cb) sources for a replacement injector?

QUOTE]

tHEY ARE NEARLY GENERIC bOSCH STYLE INJEC(damn Shopgrrl and caps lock)tors, 19 PPH, 16 ohm resistance.

The connectors ought to be fairly easy to find as well, if you can' find a connector, lemme know, I'll send you one (it might be awhile until you get it, but I've got some pieces of wiring harnesses with mating connectors.

Peace,
PT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
PTSchram said:
The connectors ought to be fairly easy to find as well, if you can' find a connector, lemme know, I'll send you one (it might be awhile until you get it, but I've got some pieces of wiring harnesses with mating connectors.
Thanks, I'll let you know - haven't begun to search for the parts, it will probably be the end of the week before I have time to look at it (have to go down to Miami mid-week for a meeting).

fiveomotorsports is selling injectors for $267/set, but they say they are purple-top, not green-band. not sure of the difference.

 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top