Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've been around for years, and while I have asked a few questions here and there, I usually comment on other peoples stuff, answer questions and just research...
Anyhow, my wheeling rig is at a stage where I think a build thread is finally in order.
Little bit of history, I've had the thing for 13 years in various forms, and this is what it looked like in 1998:

2wd, 6 cyl, and I remember being excited about stuffing 31's under it... LOL

Fast forward to '02,

Stuck a F250 chassis under it, factory 460/T19 setup. It was my DD in that form for a good while.

5 years down the road, after languishing in the back yard for a while I drug it out of the back yard, stuck some 35's on it, welded the rear, and abused the hell out of it... LOL

Spring of '08, well, I finally started doing the things I'd been wanting to do to it for years and tossed some new bearings in the engine.

Stuck the 60 under it with the TTB springs... That really sucked...
The 60 came with fresh 4.10's and matching gears for the rear. Wheeled the crap out of it for the summer, and hurt the patched together 460 badly again.
Last summer, I built a new engine for it, and started a shackle reversal with Super Duty springs, but, work, women and other things got in the way, so, it sat until just before Christmas.
Went to drag it in the shop and discovered that A) I had only put straight water in it and it was -30, thankfully the engine survived with no damage and B) even though the diffs and transmission had nice clean oil in them, the transfer was full of water, in low range, and frozen solid...

I've spent a couple good weekends on it since then, this is how it sits as of Sunday night:

Shackle flip in the rear with a stock bracket for the front of the rear spring, the front springs are takeouts from a '00 Superduty a buddy of mine had laying around in his garage that were pretty much brand new. The not so pretty crossmember/mount they're hanging off of at the front is a piece another friend of mine had built for one of his never finished projects. I need to re-build the brackets for the springs themselves on it as they're just plain ugly, and the bolt for the spring eye is too high, not leaving any room for the spring to twist, but, the main crossmember is 3" .25" box tube. It is currently just notched into the bottom of the frame and welded as you can see, but, I am far from finished with fabwork on the front end.

I screwed up when I located it, it should have come a bit further forward, and I should have shoved the rear mount ahead, as the S/D springs are 2" longer on the front, but the same as stock on the rear, so, it pushed the axle back about 2". BUT, I have a very useable shackle angle, which is what I was looking at when I located the front mount.

I'm debating zero rates, and/or possibly re-drilling the perches to get the axle back to where it should be. I may still move the mounts ahead, but, if I can get away without doing it, I'm not going to.

I'm currently debating sticking another stock bed on it, or building a tube setup of some sort. That is on the back burner though. Lots of other stuff on the to do list. Most of it in the immediate future is non exciting repairs to existing stuff like screwed up cab mounts and other such fun while I wait on parts, so, there isn't going to be any real noticeable progress for a while. I'm debating yanking the body lift out, but, I do plan on increasing tire size in the not too distant future, so, it may be an unwanted necessity.

But, I did stick some rear disks on there:

Ruff Stuff brackets on that one.

There is an anti wrap bar for the rear in the not too distant future as well as finishing up the fab on the front end. That crossmember is going to get tied into a bumper/winch mount setup, and I'm sticking a Warn 8200 on the front. For the rear I'm planning on setting my M12K in between the end of the framerails, and anything beyond that depends on what I end up deciding to do for a bed.
There is a 1356 doubler in the plans for the not too distant future also.
Down the road, probably hydro assist and possibly swapping the BJ axle for a KP one so I can do high steer easily. Leaning towards an ARB for the front, and at the very least 35 spline outers.
The truck is staying 100% street legal, so, no dovetailing or any of that fun stuff. It's primarily a trail/exploring/mud truck, not a whole lot of rock crawling to be done in my immediate vicinity, but, I am staying with the idea of building more of an all rounder than anything specialized.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No screaming deals on the 60, $1000 for it and the matching 10.25 rear, both had fresh sub 1000 mile re-builds with Ford and Dana gears, but, the truck burnt, so, the rubber boots on the balljoints and steering were melted from dripping plastic etc. I have a KP axle kicking around that I had gotten for free, but, it is minus shafts, caliper brackets and spindles, and had 3.55's, so this still ended up being cheaper... When I re-gear and lock the front, I'll probably swap the KP axle in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
doesn't spund too bad

$1000 for two axles seems reasonable to me, any idea what year truck they were under. I'm on the East coast and startong to scrounge parts for my f150 and trying to approximate costs. What size are those tires BTW.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They came out of a 93 F350 cab and chassis dually. I used my Dana 50 hubs on the front and swapped the gears from the rear into my existing housing.
Tires are 38.5x11-16's

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump... Little change in tire size and attitude:

That's 44's, with a total of 5.5" of suspension lift and 3" of body.... LOL

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Looks good... 1000 for those axles sounds like a pretty damn good deal to me.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There's already 3.5" of fender missing... LOL Can't get too carried away, as this is still street legal. That's about the max for cutting without getting into quite a bit of fender re-structuring.
This is a mud biased trail rig that isn't going to see any real rock crawling.
Compared to most of the local rigs on 44's, I'm a good 8-10" lower to start with. I'd like to lose the body lift, but, without moving my front spring mount out past the front of the frame I haven't been able to come up with anything decent that's non stock height and will support the weight without being bricks... Eventually it will happen, but right now it's getting run as is, it hasn't seen a trail in almost 2 years....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im on board, ive got an 84 F150 SWB that im slowly wrenching on. Cant wait to see where this goes!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The truck beside it is pretty much bone stock... LOL
I'm probably going to have to relocate my core support mounts inside the frame for tire clearance... LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice beater sir...

Sioux lookout eh? Are you the guy that had the banks IDI 6.9 extended cab longbox with the stack sidepipe under the box?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The second reg cab in the picture above is my IDI... Reg cab, former Banks turbo, the truck you're thinking of belonged to a couple friends of mine over the years and eventually got my turbo on a 7.3.... We won't even begin to attempt to put a number on the hours of labour myself and the first of my friends to own it put into it in 8 years...

As for my pile, well, I hurt the bottom end on the first trail ride, and with the rediculous scedule work has had me doing(Been home 3 days in the last 6 weeks, 12,500 miles on the work truck...) I haven't had time to work on it. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to swap out the crank and bearings.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, took it out for the long weekend... I need to remember to give someone else my camera so I get pictures... LOL

New crank = happy engine, 80 psi cold idle, 75 hot. Even after 10 minutes of straight rev limiter attempting to conquer a hole that had 6" of water in the cab... First person to make it out of it in 3 years, even though I backed out... Clutch was starting to fail me so I gave up while I still had motive power, yet again I ended up with mud packed behind the fingers of the pressure plate, preventing the clutch from engaging.. Made it out of the hole, and about another 1000 feet, went to grab second, and that was the end of the clutch doing anything...
Nice easy 1.5 hour trailside fix to yank it and clean it... LOL

I need more offset in my wheels, and I need to soften up the rear suspension, but otherwise, besides the clutch all worked well.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thankfully I don't own that trailer, it's strangely built to same the least, the frame is 2x6 box, doubled, side by side... The deck is way too high off the frame, it's almost 4K lbs, and the axles are hung crooked.. LOL But, it doesn't cost me anything to use.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts