Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody got any tips on how to heat an rrc more efficiently?
my blower and core are alright i spose but really arent that hot. the center defrost vents blow with decent heat and flow but the outer vents hardly blow at all and only warm air at that. is there any kind of filter or something that can be removed in the ducts between the two vents? any other tips.
the temp gauge is dead center.

hell i am about to put insulation in the doors and hang canvas behind the front seats to make the area smaller.

i did search
and all i came up with was the gm blower/core upgrade.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105814&highlight=blower+core

thanks
brandon johnson

·
Registered
278 Posts
I understand your pain!....and I live in Texas! My problem is humidity and the windows fogging up on rainy days. I think my problem is a week (15 yr old) blower motor and that the defrost/floor door is screwed up somehow. What I hate about the early RR's is that you can't use the AC on the windshield (at least on mine) I think you can on later ones. The problem w/ the ventilation system is just bad design. I recently removed my console from the middle to replace w/ a new one (homemade aluminum one-in progress) and now I can move around the vents(ducts) that feed the rear passengers. In the morning I put one in the driver seat when I start it to warm-up and the other in the drivers foot well. :D Nice and toasty when I get in. Maybe you can modify these ducts with a valve turned through the console that redirects the air fom the rear into the front wells? probably to much work though....

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Check your blend door adjustments. This is an early one right? They are cable/rod adjustable, and the lever that the rod bolts to WILL break. They are pot metal, and not brazeable or weldable. Be very careful adjusting them.

You just need to take off the radio surround and and heater control facade to get to them.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Why don't you try flushing out the core with White Vinegar? Push the antifreeze out of the core through the heater hoses. Let some of the vinegar sit in the core overnight or longer. Flush it out with water and refill/bleed the system.

Certainly easier then reconfiguring the heater box. And I think you will see improvement. Is your recirculation flap working? Fresh air will be harder to heat.

Igloo rover werks
JP

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Dude, feel your pain - Ontario is cold.

If you're really up for some serious Bootie Fab get a tractor cab heater and put it in the back - run some heater hose back there (insulate it with pipe insulation from Home Depot) and at least the rear section will be hot. They are available in all kinds of sizes and generally around the 150$ mark.

I've got a massive heater between the seats of my LWB on top of a twin core boosted Kodiak - I can't stand frozen feet after a day of boarding.

J-L

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
pendy said:

Certainly easier then reconfiguring the heater box. And I think you will see improvement. Is your recirculation flap working? Fresh air will be harder to heat.

JP
JP,
Close,
but the classic system needs the flow of the open air. Due to the inlet volume of the recirc, you actually get more warm air from the flow.

Seriously D or G, check your flaps/positioners. I bet that's it. You could also have a cowl leak, or could be missing the foam (mice love it) from inside the dash. I would just bite the bullet and take it apart. r/r plus fix in less than 4 hours!

:flipoff2:

Merry xmas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts