Pirate 4x4 banner

heater - coolant flow path?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dcg9381 
#1 ·
I've got a bit of a custom manifold on my 22r. No place for a line for the heater.

On the outlet of the heater control valve, I ran this into the passenger side front cover - there is an outlet for water here..

Photo:

Problem is - I get no coolant flow.
I assume I've tied both sides into the "high pressure" side of the water pump?

Proposed solution - drill and tap the intake manifold, under the thermostat,
Photo:

I can't find any diagrams on coolant path, but I know that water from the block goes through the heater core and somehow makes it to the head eventually... Question is - is this the right spot?

See less See more
#4 ·
Jeff S said:
On some models, the lower radiator hose tube (connects the lower radiator hose to the timing cover) down by the alt. has a stub that allows you to connect a heater hose to it and then up to the heater core. You might need to swap that lower tube out for one with the stub. I have some if you need one.

Jeff
jeffstoyo@aol.com
Yes, I've got that "stub" on the my 1981 toyota. I refer to that as the "high pressure" side of the coolant system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the coolant flows from the from the passenger side cover (low) into the motor, through the block/head and exiting the thermostat.

In my case, I need to access the manifold for the return path of the heater hose. I could tap where I've indicated above and it would work. I called LC Engineering on this issue, they've got a plug in my manifold that is setup for such, I just thought it was too small..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.