Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to get trashed, being on the Monterey Peninsula where it's about 70 degrees today, but there are times when a heater and especially a defroster would be helpful. All I get is luke warm air.
Thought the valve on the firewall was bad. Bypassed it, no difference. Thought the core might be bad. Took both hoses off and backwashed water through core. No leaks. Did find something that looked like wet paper. May have left a paper towel in when engine was out. But thought I got it all washed out.
Inlet side hose gets much hotter than return, but no heat coming out of any ducts.
Is there something down in the heater unit that needs to be opened or closed that isn't working? Fan works.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Does the "backwashed" water go through the core in the correct flow direction? Could it be blocked?

Dont trash the place with antifreeze, but remove the return line, fire it up and turn on the heater - you should get lotsa flow out of the return line almost immediately.

No flow, then replace the return line, remove the inlet line, do same thing. No flow, you got something plugged in the block or a bad control valve. If you got flow, then the core is plugged.

One other thing - you said something about the engine being out - IIRC, the motor has a metal tube running from backside of the water pumphousing along the left side of the block that feeds the heater - could you have mashed this tube somehow? Could you have gooobed up the entrance end of the tube at the water pump?

It was 3.4 degrees this AM when I got up. :eek: In Alabama. I have pity on anyone right now who doesnt have heat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestion. Didn't think to let the engine do the work for me. I'll pull the lines and put hoses & buckets in place.
Inlet line looks undamaged. I'm suspecting I left a paper towel in the opening when I put it back together. Maybe just some flushing will do it.
Remembered seeing something on a post about some valve or something down at the core that had to be opened to let air in and that even hot water passing through wouldn't produce heat w/o the air flowing. But I've also read pulling the core is much akin to pulling teeth. About the most miserable thing you can do with your weekend. But the days do get cold sometime, almost 30 degrees (just kidding, we were wheeling in the snow over Xmas).
Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
544 Posts
check your thermostat yet? you can have all the flow in the world but if the engine doesn't reach oper. temp you wont get much heat just a thought. could be stuck open. btw the temp as i sit here is -27 degrees and you better believe my heater works.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just replaced the heater core in my 86 ....It was plugged .............you know lukewarm air coming out of the heater vents....I bought a good used one at the wreaking yard for 20 bucks everything works good now:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts