Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Random Dude
908 Posts
Have a kiln that uses a Nyle dehumidifier style drier.

It's designed for low heat, slow curing, for lumber. Around 100-120*

I am trying to dry firewood. It works for that, but the load we tried took 3 weeks and $600 of electricity.

If I had a way to heat the kiln to around 200-220*, it'd take about 3 days to dry.

Electric heaters would work, but at .20 kw/hr it's expensive.

Thinking of a diesel fired heater, like a Frost Fighter or a house furnace.

this is the type of heater I was thinking of:
https://www.constructioncomplete.com/media/downloadable/brochure/IDH500QR-B.pdf

Dunno how well it'd work though.
What's your cost per gallon of diesel or fuel oil?

3 GPH x 24 hours = 72 gallons per day x 3 days = 216 gallons of fuel per load.

Looks like marine diesel's $3/gallon there - that'd be ~$650 per load for energy.

1/7th the lead time may justify the expense, but include your energy costs & machine amortization into your cost per load.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Waste oil?

Shipping container painted flat black, north south oriented?

Edit

I don't know anything about biomass, but if I was cutting down trees, and paying to heat 75% of it, and possibly disposing of 25% of it, i think I'd find a way to burn it

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I was thinking waste oil as well, or maybe build a small biomass boiler that burns waste oil and waste wood (soft wood), Ive seen a few simple systems that utilize gravity fed waste oil into a large heavy plate steel wood stove with a blower...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Really? I haven't seriously investigated. Due to the angle, we don't get much energy, even with the long days...
Well shit I wasn’t paying attention to location. A light load may take a few months and not be much better than air drying.

I did not realize it got that hot. What are your thoughts on drying it in a shipping container? My containers during the summer are right around 120-130 during the day, over a 100 by 9am it’s currently about 7 and they are still well over 110. Would they cool off to much at night? Cold mornings are in the upper 50’s. I guess I should just go take a temp reading first thing in the morning. I should just start a thread for this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you’re wanting to dry lumber You may have trouble controlling temperature with a container. Painted black, you should have no problem getting the temperature up. It’s when you want to keep it around 125-130 with the vents closed in the middle of summer since you just put in a fresh load and don’t want it to let a lot of moisture out.

As far as cooling off, it all really depends on how much is in there to hold the heat. Empty space cools faster than the same space loaded with wood. On the other hand it may take a while to get all wood up to temperature if there’s a lot of it. The heat/cool cycle didn’t bother the lumber as much as letting out too much humidity too fast.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Waste oil?

Shipping container painted flat black, north south oriented?

Edit

I don't know anything about biomass, but if I was cutting down trees, and paying to heat 75% of it, and possibly disposing of 25% of it, i think I'd find a way to burn it
this
there's a fuckton of tree that you can't sell as anything but mulch

someone else suggested itt a bigass woodstove inside the drying kiln
seems like a good idea, use an old 120 gallon propane tank, make the flue big enough you can drop shit in from up top so you don't need to air the building out to refuel it, make the intakes adjustable from outside (as opposed to routing them outside alltogether because you do want the air exchange for drying purposes)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well shit I wasn’t paying attention to location. A light load may take a few months and not be much better than air drying.

If you’re wanting to dry lumber You may have trouble controlling temperature with a container. Painted black, you should have no problem getting the temperature up. It’s when you want to keep it around 125-130 with the vents closed in the middle of summer since you just put in a fresh load and don’t want it to let a lot of moisture out.

As far as cooling off, it all really depends on how much is in there to hold the heat. Empty space cools faster than the same space loaded with wood. On the other hand it may take a while to get all wood up to temperature if there’s a lot of it. The heat/cool cycle didn’t bother the lumber as much as letting out too much humidity too fast.

Why would he care about moisture escaping to fast??? It’s firewood.... fastest drying is what he’s after!!!!
Unless I’m missing something????

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Ok. I store a lot of my shit in the container. Hunting shit. Old boxes of shit that I should probably throw away... looks like this with the front left corner going to be emptied and thats 12’ feet I was hoping to use to store/slow dry my slabs.

Yes its a mess at the moment, but should have it squared away by Sunday evening...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Why would he care about moisture escaping to fast??? It’s firewood.... fastest drying is what he’s after!!!!
Unless I’m missing something????

As far north as he is, there won’t be a lot of heat gained to speed the drying process making solar kinda useless for that purpose. The talk about moisture escaping to fast was in response to the other quote which was talking about drying lumber.

Oh and STFUG :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ok. I store a lot of my shit in the container. Hunting shit. Old boxes of shit that I should probably throw away... looks like this with the front left corner going to be emptied and thats 12’ feet I was hoping to use to store/slow dry my slabs.

Yes its a mess at the moment, but should have it squared away by Sunday evening...

Is there a way you can seal it off from the rest of the container? Even better would be building an interior was from the ceiling down to about 36” from the floor, about 2’ from the wall and putting a few box fans through it. Hang a tarp from the bottom of the wall to the lumber you’re drying to help direct the air to flow through it versus around it. Other than that two vents top and bottom to allow moisture out and drier air in would be all that’s left to do. The one I built was similar to the virginia tech one only smaller. I think you’re biggest issue will be controlling temperature without allowing too much moisture out. On mine I just put a tarp over some the clear roof panels for the first week or so. Less sunlight hitting the black interior equals less heat. Will be much harder to control with a container but not impossible.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Would pallet racks work (like the racking Costco uses)? Place green wood in 4x4x4 bins. Use fork lift to place on racks. Let it air dry for a season. This would significantly increase the amount of storage space and most of the cost is a one time cost.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Is there a way you can seal it off from the rest of the container? Even better would be building an interior was from the ceiling down to about 36” from the floor, about 2’ from the wall and putting a few box fans through it. Hang a tarp from the bottom of the wall to the lumber you’re drying to help direct the air to flow through it versus around it. Other than that two vents top and bottom to allow moisture out and drier air in would be all that’s left to do. The one I built was similar to the virginia tech one only smaller. I think you’re biggest issue will be controlling temperature without allowing too much moisture out. On mine I just put a tarp over some the clear roof panels for the first week or so. Less sunlight hitting the black interior equals less heat. Will be much harder to control with a container but not impossible.

That might work. Might just build a solar kiln. Seems like the same amount of work and better performance.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That might work. Might just build a solar kiln. Seems like the same amount of work and better performance.

The plans for the Virginia tech one is floating around the Internet somewhere. I based mine off that only smaller. One other thing I did was hinged the roof for access and put a small door in the side. It is the biggest regret I have in the build. Large rear doors is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The plans for the Virginia tech one is floating around the Internet somewhere. I based mine off that only smaller. One other thing I did was hinged the roof for access and put a small door in the side. It is the biggest regret I have in the build. Large rear doors is the way to go.

Yea I have read that V. tech one a few times. There is also a video of it. Like the big access doors in the rear idea. Seems smart.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I did not realize it got that hot. What are your thoughts on drying it in a shipping container? My containers during the summer are right around 120-130 during the day, over a 100 by 9am it’s currently about 7 and they are still well over 110. Would they cool off to much at night? Cold mornings are in the upper 50’s. I guess I should just go take a temp reading first thing in the morning. I should just start a thread for this...

Already have a well insulated lumber kiln, so I'd have no reason to get a shipping container.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts