Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First welds...teacher basically put us in a welding booth, showed us what the dials did on a MIG and said play with it. After an hour or so I think I got it dialed in pretty good and came up with this:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You're using toothpaste for welding?:flipoff2:

Keep it up. Have do done any destructive tests on your welds? Try it (beat it apart with a sledge) . Gives you an idea of how you're welding (in this case penetration)and how strong they actually are.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Heh I don't feel so bad about my welding now :D

I won't comment on the actual welds cause I know sheet compared to some of the people here. I can tell, prep helps to make your welds pretty, that and practice, practice.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
See how the bead looks like it's sitting ontop of the metal? It looks like there is very little penetration. You want the bead to look like part of the metal(very simplified, but you'll get the idea since you are in a class)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
SniperFire said:
First welds...teacher basically put us in a welding booth, showed us what the dials did on a MIG and said play with it. After an hour or so I think I got it dialed in pretty good and came up with this:

The weld second from the left on the bottom looks like a start, while the upper weld holding the flat bar to the --flat bar looks half decent. Try weaving instead of going back and forth and slow down. Looks like you're onto something!

·
Registered
535 Posts
neato..

i'm jealous..

anyone know of any good places to take a class to learn to weld? community colleges any good?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Community Colleges are great for learning how to weld. Classes are pretty cheap and they provide all the required materials and equipment. Get yourself a good pair of gloves since the ones they provide will probably be stiff from too much heat.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I got a paper the other day and the union I'm a member of is having a welding class at the apprenticeship. So if you are a member of an organized trade you might check to see what they offer.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
classes

Call your local school system. Most have adult continuing education programs. They are usually dirt cheap and populated mostly by folks pursuing their apprenticeships, so not only will you learn what you want to know, you'll meet the folks in your area who are doing for a living what we do to play. Gee, can you see a benefit to this?

I have taken several machine tool technology classes and some drafting. I became a much better machinist and draftsman as a result.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Ditto the Adult Ed. I'm taking a class in Simi Valley, and not only learning to weld, but fab skills as well. I just cut and notched the tubing for my cage mounted seats last night. WIll be welding them at home, since if you want to weld on your vehicle at school you have to pull the tank and all upholstery - they don't want to make the news again. They're getting a new bender pretty soon, so more additions to the cage are planned :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Heckle Away

MR4WD said:

Try weaving instead of going back and forth and slow down.
Could you explain this a bit more? I wasn't really using any type of technique and don't know what the "weave" is. I must say about the only technique I did notice was that I move move forward a bit and then when the weld pool caught up I would move forward again. I think the hardest bit was making sure I was in the right place when I flipped the mask down (will be remedied as soon as I get my Speedi glass 9000x) and keeping the nozzle the same distance from the metal. My teacher told me to slow down as well and I had about 20 minutes after he told me that that I was getting better results (not so humpy welds). The lap joints in the pic are a helluva lot better than the ones I was doing at the beginning of the evening.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I prefer a J, mostly because it keeps my beads straight. There's really no real reason with most mig welds to weave. Here's a good pic from the hobart board that explains that weave. The red dots are a pause

1 - 14 of 14 Posts