Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project: Heep O Parts ...update with flex test pics

Thanks to all who helped with advice and info. Since I ponied up for a red star I found that most of my questions could be searched for. I can't say strongly enough..... Send in yer twenty clams! well worth it!
Sooo old thread is gone and now I'll share pics and such as I go along. It will be slow going at times, but I'll keep plugging along and post as I go. I'll also try to keep a running tab of what it actually costs me.
I hope this is helpfull to somebody.
K
+$800 bought jeep
-$600 sold engine trans tcase axles and rear dshaft
-$175 sold complete wiring harness comp rims and tires
-$100 sold stock springs
=$75 negative
+$75 bought used soft doors
+$0 at this point ....FREEBIE!
+$150 bought used supertop
+$0 leftover SM-465/205
+$0 leftover d44 w high steer and drop pitman 4:10
+$0 already had a 14 bolt 4:10
+$350 novak engine mounts slave, bracket, and line adapter
+$50 ac unit
+$110 Brackets from RuffStuff
+$150 For a pair of hard half doors
+$300 Radiator from Oconee offroad
+200 Misc steel welding rods grinding wheels
a560_3.jpg
Just brought it home from my buddy's house. (he got the driveline)
View attachment 295790
KnI.JPG
compared to my tj w 2" and 31's
03-23-07_2011.jpg
A little love for under the hood :cool2:
03-28-07_2020.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Ha ha...the picture of it in the headlight looks like it is cowering in fear of what you're going to do to it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there ya go.... so far 465/205 till I change my mind that is..... planning on an atlas 4 eventually....not sure whether I'll keep the stick or change to an auto then

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haven't decided yet.... It looks like I can run just about anything... lots of room... I had planned on some summit brand stainless block huggers.... may run cast iron for now since I already have them. that way I'll be able to work out other details on the chassis before doing exhaust fo good.

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
haven't decided yet.... It looks like I can run just about anything... lots of room... I had planned on some summit brand stainless block huggers.... may run cast iron for now since I already have them. that way I'll be able to work out other details on the chassis before doing exhaust fo good.
that is exactly what i thought till i got to the exhaust. between the auto tranny pan, skinny cj frame, and the monsterous flat 205, i barely have room for a single 2" pipe, let alone the 3 inch i wanna run.

good luck, you have an assload more room to work than i did.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yeah I was worried as heck after reading horror stories but they must have been mainly cj's.... working on a cross member now so I can leave the trans and t case in when I pull the motor to weld motor mounts.... Thinking 3" angle bolted in where the stock pan goes with leg up inside the frame and 2" welded inside to bolt stock chevy crossmember too for now .... maybe something nicer later

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
sounds good,

that way you can condtruct a separate skid or a integrated skid later on.

just watch those factory manifolds, they normally are pointed in one direction and that makes it interesting to route the exhaust down the other side (if you are doing single exit)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
welld the mounts are welded and the engine is bolted in.... my new trans mounts should be in at o'reily's tomarrow... then to do the crossmember.... I found some frame damage that makes me want a whole new frame at some point.... I may just weld the 2" in and bolt up the c-member since this frame is not gonna be around all that long... I knew it had a couple wrinkles in it but I found a tear somebody welded up and smeared caulk over befor painting it to hide it.......by the time I get it straight and fix the cracked ared I can jus pick up a perfect frame and swap over later.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
im planning the same project,,, cheap wrangler, gut it, chevy drivetrain, 44 front, 60 rear... i'm gonna be watching this:cool2:

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,163 Posts

Yaknow, most people put the intake on before the distributor....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Do you have any info on the trans and TC install? I'm about to get a 465/205 for my YJ and any tips ya got would be great. I'm interested in what you had to do to get it to fit other than cutting a hole in the floor. Pics would be awesome too. Thanks.
-Jeremey

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well so far it looks to be pretty easy, but your situation may be way different. I had to enlarge the hole in the floor by about 2" in front and bend both shifters... the t-case shifter needed a little S-curve in it to clear the floor and I still need to bend the trans shifter Since I was swapping engine trans and case at once I was able to place the motor mounts where I got the best fit..... Hopefully during the weekend I'll get the crossmember in and I'll post some pics. If you have ANY interst in going to a sbc... you can save alot of money and time by doing it all at once..... my mounts and everything to make the clutch work were $346 ..... your adapter to go from the 6 to the 465 will be way more.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts