Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy has a junk yard hei out of a straight six chevy in his 4.2L. it went in with no hassle. has anyone done the same with a 304?

dave

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
There is no drop in junkyard solution.

If you've got the later Duraspark setup, get a cap adapter, cap and rotor for a late Ford 460, some new wires and do a basic tuneup.

·
Registered
811 Posts
use a later model amc electronic distributer ( made by FORD)

coupled with a larger cap and rotor its every bit the ignition the GM HEI is,and ad the $140 MSD6 and its a MUCH BETTER system. there are a few more wires to hook up, but its factory parts.

if your stuck wanting a hei, there are companies that graft a gme top onto an amc bottom and run the correct dist drive gear, they run more money than the the motorcracft distributer+MSD6 box mentioned above I think/

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I like my DUI HEI alot better then the duraspark ignition, Now I didnt have the large cap and what not but, I like having every thing under the cap, instead of a fender mounted module.

I do have a Duraspark sitting around with module if your interested in buying one.

·
Registered
811 Posts
funny thing, the WORST thing about the HEI is that everything is under the cap.

I wish I could remember the website with the specs posted, they came from some dude in Florida who builds and tests race car ignition systems, he goes by teamrush on teh ORC BBS

people have been using the wide cap and motorcraft elec ignition for years, adding the MSD even, he is the first that Im aware of to test it and the GM HEI side by side, and produce quantifiable results that are show the Motorcraft setup to be much better.

Ill look around and see if I can find the comparison chart I remember seeing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts