Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the noobish type questions, but I have never worked with a distributor before.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck, besides the actual conversion.

That being said, I've figured out how to put it all together, with the exception of this part.

It appears to go under the thing that holds the centrifical weights???? How do I get the thing that hold said weights off?

Also, all the write ups on this say to run a power lead to the batt terminal on the cap, but it's not making any sense to me, since the wires terminate on the cap.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, I need to go look for some screws now, and a spark plug wire crimper. I have new wires, just need to figure this out and I will be set with HEI ignition!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yeah it goes under there and attaches to the body, you will need to pull off the gear and then the whole shaft will slide out.
for power, you want 12v switched to the cap marked ign. if you look at the cap there are two plug ins, one for ign. and one for tach. keep in mind these dont like to run well with less than 10 volts, so it may be a good idea to run a relay off the batt and the ign. wire to the relay so you have a good strong 12 volts.
have fun its worth the work.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton. Now it's starting to make sense. What's the recommended way to remobve the pin holding the gear on? I would hate to mess this thing up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
With the right size punch. A nail of the right diameter will do if you grind off the tip so the point does not pread the roll pin. How did you change the gear to the Toyota one without taking the pin out?

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ballard said:
With the right size punch. A nail of the right diameter will do if you grind off the tip so the point does not pread the roll pin. How did you change the gear to the Toyota one without taking the pin out?
This dizzy came with my 40 when I bought it. It already had the gear switched out. The gear was on upside down, compared to the pics in the write ups, and also compared to a stock toyota gear.

I drove the pin out, pulled the gear off and put that part in. I tried to put the gear on the way the PO had it on, but it bound the shaft up to the point where it wouldn't turn at all.

I flipped the gear, used the smaller hole, and put a smaller pin in it. This looks to be the same distance from the end of the oil pump shaft as the stock one.

Now my new problem, I broke the tiny pin that holds the flexible part of the shaft on. I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to find a little pin somewhere that will fit.

There seems to be quite a bit of up and down play, compared to the stock dizzy.

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Another question, doesn't the crane cam vaccuum advance hook up to anything? I don't see how it works, just being screwed onto the dizzy body.

******edit*****Never mind*****edit*****

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK , I have another question. I pretty much figured out everything on the distributor.

My concern how, is that there is about 1/8" or more play in the shaft, up and down wise.

Also, I need to know where to get the small pin that holds the swivel part of the shaft on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts